PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot get computer to recognize ubuntu

knaber
January 12th, 2021, 12:26 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to install ubuntu. At first I installed it alongside windows but after it successfully installed and I restarted I couldn't get back into Ubuntu. Then I decided to install it overtop of Windows and after it seemed to install correctly when it restarts it gives me a no operating system found. I ran repair boot and here is my link: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/2KrH3J6yqV/ . After I ran repair and restarted it still didn't find the OS.
I really don't know where to go from here. Ideally I'd like to install any version of Ubuntu and then create a windows VM from inside Ubuntu.
My computer is quite old and the BIOS doesn't have many options but it is set to boot UEFI although it has the option for auto or BIOS i believe. Other than that there doesn't seem to be many options. I can't add a boot location as far as i can see. Sorry if none of that makes sense, I'm just learning.
Thanks, Kerry

CelticWarrior
January 12th, 2021, 12:32 AM
Welcome.

Line 80: Please do not forget to make your UEFI firmware boot on the Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS entry (sda1/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi file) !

UEFI settings > Boot menu. In the OS selection make sure it shows "Ubuntu". That should be it.

knaber
January 12th, 2021, 12:35 AM
yes, can you tell me how i can change my UEFI settings? Is this in Ubuntu?

CelticWarrior
January 12th, 2021, 12:38 AM
UEFI settings is what you probably think as "BIOS settings" but actually isn't because if you found "UEFI" references in your firmware then it's UEFI, not BIOS. UEFI replaced the old BIOS a long time ago. All consumer grade computers have UEFI instead of BIOS at least since 2012!

knaber
January 12th, 2021, 12:53 AM
Ok sounds good but I do not see a way to add anything to my UEFI. I don't see a way to add a picture of my bios either so i included a link of what mine looks like that i found online:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Enterprise-Client-Management/M710Q-BIOS-Legacy-PXE/m-p/3748091

My primary boot gives one option HDD1: P0: WDC WB....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated