PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] desktop icons 20.10 ?????

aughey
January 1st, 2021, 06:04 PM
I recently upgraded from 20.04 to 20.10. I had placed icons on my 20.04 desktop of the programmes I most used. I attempted to repeat this on 20.10. I opened the Other Locations, Computer, Usr, Share Applications and copied and pasted the icons into the Desktop folder. Clicking these opens a source code listing for any application I do this to (unexpected and not what I wanted to do). Plus the desktop icons are generic ones not specific to the programme they represent. How do I do this correctly?

aughey
January 1st, 2021, 06:16 PM
Retried this and discovered that right clicking on the generic icon brings up a menu where you can choose "Allow Launching" Doing this then changes the icon to the specific programme and allows starting of
it. :D:D:D:D

ActionParsnip
January 2nd, 2021, 12:43 AM
I'd have thought you'd have them on the launcher bar on the left. You can pin icons there just as you do with Windows

grahammechanical
January 2nd, 2021, 02:22 AM
In my case it was the upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 that substituted an app's desktop icon for a generic icon. The tip to allow launching fix the issue. Yes, the application does have an icon in the launcher but this was a Windows application running under WINE and the installation of it put a icon on the desktop which the upgrade broke.

For those who do not know. In Ubuntu with the Gnome 3 shell we can use the Tweaks utility to enable some Gnome shell extensions including one to have desktop icons. It should be enabled by default in Ubuntu.

Regards

aughey
January 2nd, 2021, 01:17 PM
I rearranged my launcher bar to be at the bottom of the screen. Since I had my Amiga A1200, Windows PC etc i'm used to seeing icons that you can click to launch a programme so I just wanted to be able to do this with Ubuntu as well. I find it strange though that there is no reaction from the icon when you double click it to launch a programme plus not all programmes are availableto add desktop icons to like Fre.ac for example