PDA

View Full Version : Linux's heyday for desktop and laptop was January 2020.

Paddy Landau
December 30th, 2020, 01:29 PM
According to W3Schools, Linux (including Chrome OS) (https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp) had its heyday on desktops and laptops in January 2020 at 7.1% of the total share. The latest figures show it at just 5.3%.

Pie Chart Pirate created a lovely pie chart time flow (https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/kmgmpx/oc_most_popular_desktop_and_laptop_operating/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3) on Reddit, also available on YouTube (https://youtu.be/Ss1tYTpigV0), showing how the popularity of various OSes changed over time.

I doubt that Linux will ever be a major player, unless Chrome OS or a similar competitor grows exponentially in popularity.

botanicalstig
December 30th, 2020, 07:50 PM
A lot of students in the US are now using Chrome OS on school issued computers. I imagine this trend will continue as schools need to provide inexpensive hardware for students who don't already have computers.

I think the number of people seeking out Linux, or seeking out Chrome OS specifically, is very low. Rather, they get what they get because it was on the shelf and it was cheap.

I think the point of this thread was to gain excitement, but I really don't know if the use of Chrome OS is a good thing. My nieces & nephews have never used a desktop PC. And have never seen a Windows, or Mac operating system. They only know chrome os & ios. What will an office look like 10 years from now when new-hires have never used a traditional operating system? I guess I'm just old.

3nd
December 30th, 2020, 08:50 PM
or Mac operating system. They only know chrome os & ios
i'm confuzzed ,isn't Mac,ios?

3nd
December 30th, 2020, 08:53 PM
I doubt that Linux will ever be a major player,
probably true , but we {meaning me at least} don't give a hoot ,i'm happy with me LINUX:D

Frogs Hair
December 30th, 2020, 08:59 PM
A lot of students in the US are now using Chrome OS on school issued computers. I imagine this trend will continue as schools need to provide inexpensive hardware for students who don't already have computers.

Totally agree, I know people who have purchased or been provided with Chrome Books for @home instruction.

wildmanne39
December 30th, 2020, 09:07 PM
probably true , but we {meaning me at least} don't give a hoot ,i'm happy with me LINUX:D

I agree but I love my linux and really I am not overly concerned if linux has a major share or not.

botanicalstig
December 30th, 2020, 09:55 PM

Unless they're calling it something different these days- iOS is for iPhones & ipads. Not desktop Macs or MacBook PCs.

The public schools in my area (SC) issue chrome books in 1st grade. This was a pre-pandemic program. Tech in school, is of course a good thing. I just don't know if chrome is a good answer.

Sorry for being sort of off topic, but this statistic got me thinking. The rise in Linux is most likely due to chrome. I really doubt many people are switching because of YouTubers talking about how cool Arch is.

zebra2
December 31st, 2020, 12:35 AM
I have three laptops running Ubuntu. One with Groovy and Win10 with Legacy dual boot. Right now I wouldn't dare to boot that Ubuntu partition until I get my taxes filed from the Windows side. After my taxes are filed the whole thing can blow-up and I don't really care. I have the Windows reg in bios and I can install Ubuntu with my eyes closed. However all you have to do is look at the hardware & upgrade section of this forum and see the over whelming frustration with all of this UEFI garbage that got stuck on us and the rest of the world by "you know who" just because they needed us and the rest of the world to help protect them from their root kit problem.
I do believe that Linux was getting some interest going at the beginning of the year. With the many not ready to give up Windows entirely the alternative was a disastrous dual install solution. This in addition to a SNAP sandbox software installation that makes the entire computer mostly unusable from any practical point of view. Where did the new users go? I think we ran them off with fear. Linux is the most secure OS on the planet but we got suckered into protecting the world from someone else's mess while making what we were using an overly protected stink bomb.
PS Hope you don't get too upset with me for this rant. Only good part is that I have my wife on the 20.04 LTS and she is happy.

Randymanme
December 31st, 2020, 04:19 AM
Forgive me for dipping into someone else's conversation without doing any research into what the topic is really about, but let me just say that if Linux wasn't gaining substantially in popularity, there wouldn't be a Windows 10 available with an Ubuntu subsystem.

Further, how many Windows desktops are there running under Linux servers? Remember that Linux servers are the more popular servers. I think that Windows desktops running under Linux servers default to being Linux PC's.

And then, of course, there's Ubuntu Kylin -- the official People's Republic of China operating system.

Randymanme
December 31st, 2020, 04:27 AM
https://www.networkworld.com/article/3568616/linux-dominates-supercomputing.html

Linux dominates supercomputing
The Linux operating system runs all 500 of the world’s fastest supercomputers, which help to advance artificial intelligence, machine learning and even COVID-19 research.

Paddy Landau
December 31st, 2020, 12:25 PM
I think the point of this thread was to gain excitement…
No, I had no such intention. I was sharing something that I found interesting. Every year, someone seems to announce that this is the year of Linux for desktops and laptops, but I don't see that happening.

Not many people know that Apple's products (whether Mac or iOS) are Unix-based.

… if Linux wasn't gaining substantially in popularity, there wouldn't be a Windows 10 available with an Ubuntu subsystem.
Microsoft has done a complete about-turn since changing CEO. It has boarded the Linux train. I don't know why, but I'm sure that MS has some type of plan to monetise it.

… how many Windows desktops are there running under Linux servers?
I did not realise that Windows desktops ever ran under Linux servers. This is news to me! Tell me more, please.

And then, of course, there's Ubuntu Kylin -- the official People's Republic of China operating system.
Whether or not that will catch on in a big way is anyone's guess. I think that the Chinese government wants it to, because it can control the default software installation, which is what the "average" user would install.

Linux dominates supercomputing
This is true, and has been for some time. I'm sure that it will continue; Linux is just too powerful, too reliable and too cheap for it to be passed over in the world of supercomputers.

In fact, Linux dominates computing. Desktops and laptops are just one part of the computing realm. Linux runs most of the world's smartphones (Android), web servers, IoT, car computers, and more. I wonder if it will still be around in 100 years — probably!

ajgreeny
December 31st, 2020, 01:01 PM
As far as I'm aware, though I could be wrong, Mac operating system, whatever it's name might be nowadays, is a forked version of BSD; Linux is often thought of as a fork of Unix.
They are therefore similar in many ways, though very different in others, perhaps the most important difference for us might be that Linux is open-source, Mac-OS is very definitely closed-source; very closed and locked away as I understand things though I've never ever used any Apple systems so have no notion of how much freedom a user has to change anything in system files.

DuckHook
December 31st, 2020, 06:57 PM
…Linux is just too powerful, too reliable and too cheap for it to be passed over in the world of supercomputers…
All true, but the biggest reason is its openness. My nephew has a masters degree specializing in big data. This is how he explained it to me:

There's no supercomputer in the world that is simply off the shelf. They are all über‑customized and tweaked to the hilt. Trying to do this with a proprietary OS is like trying to terraform Venus whereas Linux has all of the foundational properties already in place to allow it to be expanded and modified at will.
Since Linux is built from the ground up to be open and transparent, one can peer into the guts of the thing to ultra‑maximize everything. It is illegal to do this with, say, Windows unless one goes through incredible hassles.
Many of the Unixes like BSD are also FOSS, but they have far smaller communities. There's a network effect in Supercomputing just like in more mundane aspects of life: scientists and techies reinforce each other's work. No point in reinventing a given wheel and the Linux community is famous for its open exchange of info and techniques.
It's way cooler to be a Linux geek than a Windows or Apple geek and "BSD weirdos are demented" (his words, not mine).

remy-wehrung
January 26th, 2021, 01:40 AM
Also recurring debate on the French forums, therefore: Linux has always been a system for geek, first it is an X system, second it is Linus Torvald, not the last of us, who wrote the kernel. I have seen during these twenty years, the GUIs evolved, between bad copies of Microsoft Windows and ugly counterfeit MacOs of before eleven. For the past three years; these GUI memes are stabilized and embellished. Ubuntu has worked hard.
Students, except future DevOps and other system administrators do not want to hear about Linux, because the cli seems too hard to them, it takes a long learning, humility, stupid things done, to master the system

QIII
January 26th, 2021, 04:01 AM
The desktop/laptop segment of computing is a fractional sliver of the world of computing. Who cares if Windows holds that tiny speck?

remy-wehrung
January 26th, 2021, 04:33 AM
No, this segment still exists, commercially, therefore technologically speaking. Quite simply because companies have the common sense not to put everything in the cloud. It is the companies, by the volume of their purchases that make Microsoft, nvidia and AMD work, the individual is him residual and that I know, the time that the student is not an employee, is a business manager, he is an individual

mastablasta
January 26th, 2021, 03:45 PM
I doubt that Linux will ever be a major player, unless Chrome OS or a similar competitor grows exponentially in popularity.

if they improve GPU driver support and support for windows games, then it has a real chance.

just yesterday i was watching a year old youtube video about how much ram you need. and from my experience as well 4 GB windows 10 runs really slow as soon as you open a few apps. so even in gaming and even when you have 8 GB ram or 16 Gb ram, sooner or later you will notice those 3.5 GBs missing.

aside from that windows 10 had it's own share of major bugs that were not there before. erasing user's data or some other big bugs that affected quite a bit of users.

so when you have alternative free, opensource OS, where you get less than 500 Mb at boot and have a similar user experience you might have a better alternative available.

and once gamers move or if games become OS agnostic (Stadia, Geforce now...) - linux might increase the market share.

look how many post just on this forums are from people wanting to switch but still be bale to play their MMO game. there are even more such post in linux gaming groups. directX issues are somewhat resolved, now it's the anticheat that is blocking. if they solve that and with progress of proton, you could simply tell these people to have a go. until these major bumps are resolved, i can't really warmly recommend it to "gamers". i play mostly older single player or games with LAN option, so the experience has been great so far.

remy-wehrung
January 27th, 2021, 02:04 AM
I must admit that the management of GPUs out of box relieves part of my work, under Debian, it is not possible. Must eternally speak of Microsoft Windows? , it is certainly the biggest client OS, but that is it, yes it is affected by the "cyberpunk 2077" syndrome or the reverse or each of the patches, causes more bugs than the previous patches, but at least , it's free, always so painful

zebra2
January 28th, 2021, 04:04 PM
It is easy to be blind to the fact the the primary driver behind the success of Linux is all of the nifty FOSS software which has been developed by corporations and governments seeking to avoid paying for individual licenses for every desktop in their network. Not to mention their contribution to the linux kernel. As already mentioned Linux runs the entire planet (and outer space). NASA has donated millions of retired lines of FOSS code to the public domain over the years and that is only where the discussion starts. Linux isn't going anywhere but forward.
PS: I would hate to imagine a federal digital currency run on anything but Linux.

Paddy Landau
January 28th, 2021, 04:54 PM
It's way cooler to be a Linux geek than a Windows or Apple geek and "BSD weirdos are demented" (his words, not mine).
That made me laugh!

so when you have alternative free, opensource OS, where you get less than 500 Mb at boot…
Hmm, I think that most people coming to Linux come via a larger distro such as Ubuntu (for ease of use — I came via Ubuntu for that very reason). Ubuntu 20.04 takes close to 4Gb RAM on my machine, so it uses significantly more than 500Mb. But the good thing is that with modern hardware, that's satisfactory (and less than Windows).

Linux isn't going anywhere but forward.
I wish that I could see 100 years into the future to find out what happens with Linux. Is it still running computers? Are computers even recognisable? Maybe they're running AI-developed operating systems.

I would hate to imagine a federal digital currency run on anything but Linux.
Ha ha! Well, I don't know. It's a government's job to mess things up. How can a government mess things up properly if they use proper tools? :D

remy-wehrung
January 29th, 2021, 03:20 AM
The fact remains that the general public does not care about GNU / Linux, I am not wrong. I repeat, there is a world between a debian and an ubuntu, in this sense Canonical, does a very good job: from Apple, minus the prices. But despite everything, Linux remains a geek territory, a territory that deserves this through the necessary self-training, because if there is indeed a subject never discussed with the libriste: it is training. I'm going to do my veteran, but twenty years ago it was very easy to train through the OReilly books (published in France as is). In recent years, this is less the case, I find

mastablasta
January 30th, 2021, 08:48 PM
well look at it this this way. in the 80's it was hard to find someone with computer. most of us over her had those house computers like spectrum or C64. the guy i know had to drive 2000km to buy a PC and he spent a fortune for it. then in 90s, people kind of new about DOS and windows started to appear and suddenly with icons it was easy for everyone to use a PC. well kind of. login to internet was still quite geeky. only few would go study computer science. fast forward 10 years oir so and everyone had to use PC in uni. those that didn't know how had to learn. 10 more years and many people carries one in the pocket and most of them powered by linux with android desktop on it. i said linux, because i installed terminal and tried a few commands for services i know and they are indeed the same as on desktop. so what is geeky now might not be in the future. it all depends how it's packaged and how easy it is for people to use. in my opinion if MS made office for linux a lot more people would come and if casual gamers move over we might be on to something.

remy-wehrung
January 31st, 2021, 04:47 AM
I was introduced to computer science at school at a young age with French equivalences of ZX80, so BASIC, I saw. I bought my first PC at the end of the 90's in the midst of Microsoft's hegemony and switched to Linux. Yes, Linux is everywhere and nowhere and that is great, but the education is not, as well for the kids as for the parents The criticism also applies to Europe. But it is up to mothers to give a taste to science and computing

Paddy Landau
January 31st, 2021, 11:43 AM
… powered by linux with android desktop on it. i said linux, because i installed terminal and tried a few commands for services…
That's correct, Android runs on Linux. But many of the Linux commands are shared with its sister, Unix, so if you tried them on Unix, you might find the same success!

Here are the most popular OS systems, excluding Linux and Unix themselves:

System
Runs on…

Android
Linux

Chromium OS
Linux

Chrome OS (Chromebook)
Linux

BSD-derivatives (e.g. FreeBSD)
Unix

iOS
Unix

Mac
Unix

Windows
Proprietary mixture; originally MS-DOS

I might have missed a couple of important systems, but essentially nearly all systems run on one of the two sisters.

remy-wehrung
February 2nd, 2021, 02:34 AM
Yes, Linux would not exist without UNIX, which had the bad idea of this balkanized, of this proprietarized, to make this eat, piece, by piece by a free and free UNIX compatible, I like this irony

jmichaels29
February 11th, 2021, 04:21 AM
But isn't Android based on the Linux kernel?
Which means that most people are actually using Linux.

mastablasta
February 11th, 2021, 10:03 AM
But isn't Android based on the Linux kernel?
Which means that most people are actually using Linux.

well the kernel is linux (modified) and Andorid is added on it. the issue is a bit with licences.

but anyway we could say it is quite similar to our desktops only with touch interface. on the other hand it's not.

most people are using Linux one way or another, they just don't know it. TV, inflight entertainment, digital car apps /interface, "Smart TV", "Smart Phones", Smart kitchen appliances, Facebook and Google stuff, Play Station (actually they use BSD).... often somewhere deeps inside linux is buried and people use it without know it. just like the new HarmonyOS from Huawei - hard to get the SDK, but if you are approved (and all your bases are belong to them) and if you do get it you will find out it is actually Android OS with all adroid stuff replaced by Harmony OS. they went to great lengths to hide it and there is no mentioning of this Google owned OS and in fact they even lie that they created completely new operating system.

Shibblet
February 11th, 2021, 08:43 PM
Due to all of the groundwork that was done by organizations like the GNU, the Free Software Foundation, and open source projects, most Linux distributions will stick around for a long time.

Community driven distributions will continue throughout the years. The need for different software, such as new drivers, technological advancements, and the like, are all continuously maintained by these communities. Even though a company like Canonical is the primary reason we have Ubuntu is the "community" aspect of it.

Linux will always be around, as long as we have people who want it.