PDA

View Full Version : Linux phone! Qtopia Greenphone

Griff
August 28th, 2006, 05:17 AM
The all-powerful link: http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/phone_edition/greenphone

Some more screenies: http://www.qtopia.net/themes/Trolltech/screens.php?op=phone4

It's a linux phone. I'm not even sure where to begin. Sounds too good to be true. It says it probably won't be available to the general public, but that doesn't exactly mean you won't be able to get it either. Your thoughts?

PS: Any remarks about it's color will be countered with "It's not easy being green" --Kermit
I think it looks cool.

gnomeuser
August 28th, 2006, 05:45 AM
But it's frikkin green and since I am GNOMEuser.. it's QT based.

My perfect phone/pda would probably have a stylus like a palm, I'm very comfortable with that interface. I've been looking at the Nokia A1000 for the 3G net.

Overall I think my money will go towards a Nokia 770 and some form of VoIP solution, everywhere has WiFi anyways or will have soon.. anywhere I'm going at least.

I'm really not sure about the Greenphone interface, it seems a bit under developed and.. dingy.

Skia_42
August 28th, 2006, 07:16 AM
It looks pretty cool to me, it's a shame it isn't available to the public... perhaps it will be released sometime in the future.

rowanparker
August 28th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Haven't nokia's used Linux for a while now?

hesee
August 28th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Haven't nokia's used Linux for a while now?

Just some specific models like 770. Most of the Nokia models use symbian OS.

rowanparker
August 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Oh right.

I'm reading up on it on wikipedia now, thanks.

ComplexNumber
August 28th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Just some specific models like 770. Most of the Nokia models use symbian OS.
they do. but they have made huge contributions to open source. for instance, they have contributed a lot to the eclipse project, amongst many others.
if nokia drops symbian, symbian will be stuck.

hesee
August 28th, 2006, 02:25 PM
they do. but they have made huge contributions to open source. for instance, they have contributed a lot to the eclipse project, amongst many others.

They have probably invested too much to symbian, don't want to drop it now. But it's nice to see that they support opensource too.

bruce89
August 28th, 2006, 02:25 PM

In fact, Nokia sponsored GUADEC.

But, back on topic, green = yuck.

.t.
August 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Well. I think that that's a pretty nice green. Goes quite well with the brown of Human in Ubuntu (which I still use in Gentoo! Go free software!).

Griff
August 29th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Yea, I think it's pretty kickin'. I'm a little tired of all the generic flip phones out there. I got a black razr for myself and a silver razr for my fiance right when it came out and now most people I know have one.