PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Bodhi or Lubuntu install on Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2-851F, booting USB issue, workaround

scragnoth
December 13th, 2020, 08:39 PM
I got the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2-851F and want to install Linux on it. It has a 64-bit capable Intel Atom CPU architecture and 2 GB of RAM. It's not to be confused with the Yoga Tablet 2 Pro. Originally it comes with a 32-bit version of Windows 8 since Lenovo only developed 32-bit Windows drivers for the internal hardware. The only way to connect any external USB hardware is a Micro-USB-OTG-Hub since there's only the one Micro-USB-port also used to charge the battery on the tablet.

I have a few issues: I can only get a Fedora USB volume to be recognized as a bootable UEFI USB volume, Bodhi and Lubuntu USB volumes won't show up in the boot menu, regardless what I tried. I wrote each image again on Windows with the Rufus tool, where I especially checkted the "GPT" option "for UEFI computers". And I tried this tutorial: https://askubuntu.com/questions/395879/how-to-create-uefi-only-bootable-usb-live-media/395880#395880
I disabled the "Secure Boot" option in the Bios menu as I learned that this can cause issues. I also learned that this tablet is especially iffy in what it likes to boot from.

I began with Fedora because of this tutorial: https://www.srobb.net/yoga2.html

It installed fine, essential hardware (Bluetooth; Wifi, Touch) works right away, it's just a bit heavy for this system.

I found out that it's possible to install Linux from another Linux: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux

I used the Fedora Terminal to try this, but it didn't work right. The Install won't show up in grub on boot.

From that tutorial, I altered some commands since I had issues with mounting, it gave me the "can't find in /etc/fstab" error otherwise.

Original version
mkdir /tmp/install_cd
mkdir /tmp/installer

sudo mount [location of ISO) -o loop /tmp/install_cd
sudo mount [location of prepared ext4 partition] /tmp/installer

sudo rsync -a /tmp/install_cd/. /tmp/installer

sudo umount /tmp/install_cd
sudo umount /tmp/installer

My version:

mkdir /mnt/iso
mkdir /mnt/install

sudo mount [location of ISO] -o loop /mnt/iso
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk2p5 /mnt/install

sudo rsync -a /mnt/iso . /mnt/install

sudo umount /mnt/iso
sudo umount /mnt/install

I read somewhere that I had to define mount points in /mnt. I don't know where anymore.

The rsync did the following: It copied the ISO itself to my ext4 partition, it created empty home folder folders (Downloads etc.) there and put the ISO's contents into a protected subfolder called "Iso". With the terminal I moved everything from that "Iso" folder to the partition's root directory.

Creating the GRUB entry seemed to work fine, I could use all commands 1:1.

menuentry "Ubuntu Ver??? Installer" {
set root=(hd0,3)
linux /casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper ignore_uuid
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
}

my adaptation

menuentry "bodhi Ver5.1.0-64-hwe Installer" {
set root=(hd2,5)
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
}

Inside "Disks" utility my partition location shows: /dev/mmcblk2p5
The tablet's SD card slot on the back is /dev/mmcblk0
I don't know what mmcblk1 is then, or if that even exists. I can't see it.

I thus think that mmcblk2p5 is "hd2,5 for grub.

To rebuild the grub configuration, on fedora the command "sudo grub2-mkconfig" is used... I found that here: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/23/html/Multiboot_Guide/GRUB-recreating.html

Here's the output:

[XY@localhost-live ~]$ sudo grub2-mkconfig
Generating grub configuration file ...
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub2-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
set pager=1

if [ -f ${config_directory}/grubenv ]; then
load_env -f ${config_directory}/grubenv
elif [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
load_env
fi
if [ "${next_entry}" ] ; then
set default="${next_entry}"
set next_entry=
save_env next_entry
set boot_once=true
else
set default="${saved_entry}"
fi

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
menuentry_id_option="--id"
else
menuentry_id_option=""
fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
save_env prev_saved_entry
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function load_video {
if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
insmod all_video
else
insmod efi_gop
insmod efi_uga
insmod ieee1275_fb
insmod vbe
insmod vga
insmod video_bochs
insmod video_cirrus
fi
}

terminal_output console
if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
set timeout_style=menu
set timeout=5
# Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
# unavailable.
else
set timeout=5
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/01_users ###
if [ -f ${prefix}/user.cfg ]; then
source ${prefix}/user.cfg
if [ -n "${GRUB2_PASSWORD}" ]; then
set superusers="root"
export superusers
password_pbkdf2 root ${GRUB2_PASSWORD}
fi
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/01_users ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/08_fallback_counting ###
insmod increment
# Check if boot_counter exists and boot_success=0 to activate this behaviour.
if [ -n "${boot_counter}" -a "${boot_success}" = "0" ]; then
# if countdown has ended, choose to boot rollback deployment,
# i.e. default=1 on OSTree-based systems.
if [ "${boot_counter}" = "0" -o "${boot_counter}" = "-1" ]; then
set default=1
set boot_counter=-1
# otherwise decrement boot_counter
else
decrement boot_counter
fi
save_env boot_counter
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/08_fallback_counting ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
insmod part_gpt
insmod ext2
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 8641b910-c8db-4cc4-87db-e3654ddf33db
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 8641b910-c8db-4cc4-87db-e3654ddf33db
fi
insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=boot 7A46-3A9A
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=boot 7A46-3A9A
fi

# This section was generated by a script. Do not modify the generated file - all changes
# will be lost the next time file is regenerated. Instead edit the BootLoaderSpec files.
#
# The blscfg command parses the BootLoaderSpec files stored in /boot/loader/entries and
# populates the boot menu. Please refer to the Boot Loader Specification documentation
# for the files format: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec/.

# The kernelopts variable should be defined in the grubenv file. But to ensure that menu
# entries populated from BootLoaderSpec files that use this variable work correctly even
# without a grubenv file, define a fallback kernelopts variable if this has not been set.
#
# The kernelopts variable in the grubenv file can be modified using the grubby tool or by
# executing the grub2-mkconfig tool. For the latter, the values of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
# and GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT options from /etc/default/grub file are used to set both
# the kernelopts variable in the grubenv file and the fallback kernelopts variable.
if [ -z "${kernelopts}" ]; then
set kernelopts="root=/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost--live-root ro rd.lvm.lv=fedora_localhost-live/root rhgb quiet "
fi

insmod blscfg
blscfg
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_reset_boot_success ###
# Hiding the menu is ok if last boot was ok or if this is a first boot attempt to boot the entry
if [ "${boot_success}" = "1" -o "${boot_indeterminate}" = "1" ]; then
set menu_hide_ok=1
else
set menu_hide_ok=0
fi
# Reset boot_indeterminate after a successful boot
if [ "${boot_success}" = "1" ] ; then
set boot_indeterminate=0
# Avoid boot_indeterminate causing the menu to be hidden more then once
elif [ "${boot_indeterminate}" = "1" ]; then
set boot_indeterminate=2
fi
# Reset boot_success for current boot
set boot_success=0
save_env boot_success boot_indeterminate
### END /etc/grub.d/10_reset_boot_success ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/12_menu_auto_hide ###
if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
if [ "${menu_show_once}" ]; then
unset menu_show_once
save_env menu_show_once
set timeout_style=menu
set timeout=60
elif [ "${menu_auto_hide}" -a "${menu_hide_ok}" = "1" ]; then
set orig_timeout_style=${timeout_style}
set orig_timeout=${timeout}
if [ "${fastboot}" = "1" ]; then
# timeout_style=menu + timeout=0 avoids the countdown code keypress check
set timeout_style=menu
set timeout=0
else
set timeout_style=hidden
set timeout=1
fi
fi
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/12_menu_auto_hide ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_ppc_terminfo ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_ppc_terminfo ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/mmcblk2p1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
menuentry 'Windows Boot Manager (on /dev/mmcblk2p1)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-efi-7A46-3A9A' {
insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 7A46-3A9A
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 7A46-3A9A
fi
chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}
# Other OS found, undo autohiding of menu unless menu_auto_hide=2
if [ "${orig_timeout_style}" -a "${menu_auto_hide}" != "2" ]; then
set timeout_style=${orig_timeout_style}
set timeout=${orig_timeout}
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
menuentry 'System setup' $menuentry_id_option 'uefi-firmware' {
fwsetup
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry "bodhi Ver5.1.0-64-hwe Installer" {
set root=(hd2,5)
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
}
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
done
[XY@localhost-live ~]$

At the end it just shows what I typed into the /etc/grub.d/40_custom file. I just checked if the mentioned "exec tail" line was still there since it wasn't shown in the output, but it's still there as it should be.

Is there an obvious error with that whole grub editing step? Help would be much appreciated, I'm pulling my hair out...

I didn't try regular Ubuntu yet (if a USB volume with Ubuntu would boot). I think that would also be too recource-hungry. Fedora consumes 1 GB of RAM on idle, the firefox tab with my mail web service (which I used to copy the terminal output over) crashed several times.

guiverc
December 14th, 2020, 07:48 AM
I'm not sure what you're exactly asking. The title implies it's Bodhi or Lubuntu, but I didn't see mention of Bodhi in your text (found only in the paste). As I don't know Bodhi, I'll skip it.

Lubuntu comes currently with three supported installers, however you provided no specifics as to release, or which ISO (the ISO dictates the installer in use) you tried. Did you try modern Lubuntu using the `calamares` installer? or even the older (legacy) ISO using `ubiquity`? or only try the alternate debian-installer?

Did you try a normal write as per Ubuntu or Lubuntu documentation?

Lubuntu documentation provides
- https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/1/Installing_lubuntu.html

Ubuntu provides the following
- https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu#1-overview
- https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-macos#1-overview
- https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

That would be where I'd start, with the Ubuntu/Lubuntu image.

Lubuntu is tested and boots & installs using
- BIOS/legacy
- uEFI
- Secure uEFI

If your box is 32-bit uEFI only; it may complicate the issue, as testing these days for Lubuntu only tests for those three boot modes (very few devices are 32-bit uEFI only).
You also didn't say what Fedora you're talking about.. the age (release) matters.

ActionParsnip
December 14th, 2020, 10:59 AM
If Fedora is "heavy" just install a lighter desktop environment and select that at login. LXDE is an excellent choice. You don't have to use the default desktop option in a distribution.

scragnoth
December 15th, 2020, 08:40 PM
@guiverc:

I want to install a 64-bit linux version on the Yoga. The architecture supports it, and Fedora 64-bit works on it.

Bodhi Linux (Ubuntu-derivate): https://www.bodhilinux.com/download/ (https://www.bodhilinux.com/download/)

I downloaded the Hwe-Release iso, version 5.1.0

I never used Bodhi before but wanted to try it, the description in that "best lightweight linux distributions" website article sounded promising.

I'm familiar with Lubuntu, I used it before on an older Intel Core Duo System (Lenovo Thinkcentre desktop PC which I saved from the bin, I had to "activate" it when my laptop died). It worked good on that rather old system.

I downloaded Lubuntu on Sunday, so I got that ISO: lubuntu-20.10-desktop-amd64.iso

The Fedora I'm running currently on the tablet is Fedora 32. The iso was a few weeks old, I'm aware that there's a version 33 already.

My current daily driver is a Lenovo X230 tablet with Linux Mint 20 Ulyana and Windows 10 in dual boot. I used the provided USB Image Writer which came with Mint to write all the isos to USB. The Fedora iso was recognized by the Yoga tablet first try. The other two weren't recognized.
I tried to write the isos manually (https://askubuntu.com/questions/395879/how-to-create-uefi-only-bootable-usb-live-media/395880#395880) to USB and I tried to write them with Rufus, a tool for Windows. No difference.

It would be great to get either the Bodhi or Lubuntu installer to boot from USB on the Yoga.

The alternative would be the workaround solution: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux

Which I couldn't get to work unfortunately.

@ActionParsnip Thank you; I'll try that.

guiverc
December 15th, 2020, 11:15 PM
I'm not familiar with Bodhi, or what type of ISO file they use/provide, thus what tool will write it successfully and create bootable install media.

I test & use Ubuntu and flavors (especially Lubuntu), but I'm unfamiliar with the tool that comes with Mint so I can't help/advise there.

Key to remember is there are different types of ISO files, and most tools are written for specific types and won't create a bootable image if used to write an ISO of a type they weren't designed for. For writing a Bodhi ISO, I'd read what tool Bodhi suggests & recommends, and use that. There are (installation) instructions on the link you provided, which include validating ISO checksum & details equivalent to the Lubuntu & Ubuntu tutorial links I provided (but tested to work with Bodhi).

FYI: Fedora 33 came out in late October (https://fedoramagazine.org/announcing-fedora-33/)

scragnoth
December 16th, 2020, 07:02 PM
@guiverc: Both Bodhi and Ubuntu tutorials call to use Rufus on Windows as a valid option. I used GPT mode on Sunday, I wrote Bodhi again just now since both tutorials require to use MBR mode. I did the md5 check also just to be sure. Still no dice. I tried the USB on my laptop, it recognizes isolinux but fails with an error shortly after. But that's still a confirmation for me that the Yoga tablet is to blame here - my X230t sees the stick just fine as a bootable volume, otherwise it would've just skipped it entirely.

The tool that comes with Mint is very basic. Choose iso, choose target media, fire. No options to be set. That's why I wanted to try Rufus, since there are options to set. Ubuntu's Stratup Disk Creator from their tutorial looks very similar to Mint's tool.

Maybe it was October when I first downloaded that Fedora iso. Doesn't matter anyways, Fedora is easy to upgrade from within their software center.

@ActionParsnip's tip shows promise already, Running the LXQT desktop (I came to LXQT desktop while reading about LXDE, LXQT is the port of LXDE to the Qt application framework, Lubuntu for example used LXDE before but switched to LXQT since) consumes only about 500 MB of RAM on idle. I don't know if there's much room for improvement left. Only issue: I have to leave it in the dreaded portrait mode currently. In landscape mode the touchscreen input won't align correctly with the mouse cursor. But that should be a simple alteration in some config file via the terminal I'm pretty sure. Fedora's default desktop environment doesn't have this issue.

I just didn't know that some distros can be made more useful on older hardware by just installing another desktop environment. Mint has several desktop environments to choose from before install (they offer a different iso for each) but I didn't think about it more.

guiverc
December 17th, 2020, 07:11 AM
The boot for groovy was changed, so all architectures are now booted the same for Ubuntu (ie. legacy BIOS, uEFI & Secure uEFI).

There were many reports filed during the groovy development cycle, and `mkusb` (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb) and some tools were modified to better cope with the new changed ISO for future releases of Ubuntu. I recall Yoga & other devices being mentioned in later reports (filed by others & not me, it's not a device in my testing list).

I wonder if `mkusb` would help, as I recall a number of changes made to help issues with (more) modern Lenovo devices, but my part in that testing was minimal, only ensuring older PCs were not impacted.

One bug report is https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1886148 (but it's one of a number, another has "(again)" added to the title...) They may provide clues, I know others on this site have the answers, but the stressing of Bodhi & other non-ubuntu's may reduce interest.

LXDE is GTK2, with some of it ported to GTK3 first (PCMan, or the author of the desktop itself, plus File Manager (pcmanfm) blogged about it, and how much heavier it was). The L in LXDE was light, which wasn't proving easy with GTK3, which was resolved by starting again, and the LXDE team joining with the Razor-Qt desktop guys creating a new project & desktop LXQt (along with a project).

Yes parts of LXQt are ported from LXDE (the desktop itself is now pcmanfm-qt, almost the same same name as LXDE's pcmanfm), but other parts of the code are from Razor-Qt, so to call it a port of LXDE is wrong in my opinion, skipping all the work done and taken from the Razor-Qt project that's there too. Hong Jen Yee's (pcman) blogs are a good place for some of this history, being a key developer, and where the `pcmanfm` gets it's name)

(if you weren't aware; pcmanfm handles the LXDE desktop, and is more than just a file-manager. As it can't do everything, Lubuntu team it with Openbox which can handle the minimize/maximize windows & other functions needed for most users normal operations; Debian use `xfwm4` by default instead)

scragnoth
December 17th, 2020, 09:07 PM
Thank you, maybe I'll take a closer look at it later. I need the Yoga ready rather quick now. I want to take it on the train, in this case my X230t is still too bulky for my taste. I want to play some very light steam games on the Yoga. With Fedora's Gnome desktop, none of the few games I tried launched.

The lighter LXQT desktop has a chance to fix this issue, I didn't try to run games on it yet since I'm at it to make a clean re-install of Fedora 33. I wiped the Windows partition also since I won't be needing it and since it consumed so much space with all it's additional recovery partitions.

I just couldn't imagine before that creating bootable USB Linux install media could be rocket science. I used several tools over the years since 2014 (where I got a laptop to replace my aging AMD Athlon 2400+ 2 Ghz single core desktop PC still running Windows XP - that system created my first Linux Mint USB with some tool that worked under XP). Everything worked first try with the easiest path (grab the desired iso, use provided creator tool, done). I installed several Linux distros an other people's machines while I prepared the USB at home, they worked every time with no issue.

It must be something that Fedora does different... on Sunday I even tried something strange: I replaced the EFI folder from Bodhi with the EFI folder from Fedora. The media was recognized, but of course the boot process crashed instantly since it couldn't find the files it was looking for.

CelticWarrior
December 17th, 2020, 11:51 PM
I replaced the EFI folder from Bodhi with the EFI folder from Fedora. The media was recognized, but of course the boot process crashed instantly since it couldn't find the files it was looking for.
That is promising...
Please check the contents of the Fedora's EFI folder. Does it contain a "bootia32.efi" file? If so there's your answer right there, you have a 64-bit CPU indeed but paired with 32-bit firmware (UEFI) - that happens in many "Bay Trail"/"Cherry Trail" Intel CPUs families and that's why that hardware is cheap and crappy -, Fedora includes a special boot file for that, Ubuntu doesn't. This instructions should be valid still: https://askubuntu.com/questions/775498/ubuntu-on-32-bit-uefi-only-based-tablet-pc

Linuxium have been providing a way to change the Ubuntu installer to boot in and have additional hardware support (drivers and tweaks) specifically for that class of hardware for many years. You may want to try that instead of the regular ISOs. Their tool/script should work with all Ubuntu flavors and yes, do/use as suggested above regarding desktop environments: http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/

scragnoth
December 18th, 2020, 10:27 PM
@CelticWarrior: Indeed, I found out about it when I did hit the next roadblock: I couldn't get sound to work with Fedora. The sound hardware wouldn't be recognized, it just shows "bytcht-nocodec" and it doesn't seem to be solvable.

I then googled for the underlying architecture (Intel Atom Z3745) and whether there are tips for any other working linux distro. And there it was, 64-bit architecture with 32-bit EFi (or UEFI, not sure) bootloader. Fedora was just a lucky pick since it supports this weirdness.

I read that maybe Debian would work well, so I used their "multi-arch" image (the regular amd63 didn't work). But I couldn't get it to recognize the wifi, even with another try with their iso including "non-free" firmware. It asks for specific missing files, first brcm/brcmfmac43241b4-sdio.bin, when I provided the correct deb (firmware-brcm80211_20200918-1_all.deb) via another USB stick (inside a subfolder called "firmware") it wanted more: brcm/brcmfmac43241b4-sdio.txt where I could just find the exact txt file, but it only looks for deb files. I couldn't figure out a deb file where this txt is in. I asked in a German debian forum (weirdly enough the English debian forum wouldn't let me register because my IP is blacklisted for spamming - sure guys :D - otherwise, they didn't even use an encrypted protocol) for this issue especially, if debian won't work out I'll try your (and @guiverc's) suggestions regarding modified ubuntu isos. I hope I'll get the sound working on there tho...

Yes I read that these things are flamed to death - weak, useless and so on. I got mine for free, and IMO you have to set your expectations regarding the hardware and what you would be able to do with it in which situation. When it can run Binding of Isaac Rebirth from Steam I'm happy already (it ran fine in a window in fedora's LXQT today, but I just tried it briefly). It's a perfect game for train journeys, since it wants you to try and try again. I played it for hours in 2015 on a borrowed PS4...
When you have this as your only PC it's quite useless and frustrating, I agree. But it kinda reminds me of that GPD-Win with built-in screen, game controls and also an Atom architecture when I remember correctly. Those were expensive, now I can have kinda the same "experience" as I would've had with one of those for free (okay, not quite free, several hours of trying to solve issues are not to be forgotten).

Fedora-LXQT had other issues tho... the misalignment between touchscreen input and reaction in landscape mode isn't easy to solve (I found no easy fix) and it has no virtual keyboard (maybe one can be installed tho). But no sound at all is the biggest dealbreaker unfortunately. The performance was fine otherwise...

@guiverc: LXDE / LXQT: I didn't know that, thanks for the insight, but I'm also more the kind of user of linux, not the one who knows the origin of the distros, kernels and such :)

CelticWarrior
December 19th, 2020, 05:02 PM
You should try the Linuxium respin because it has support for most of the hardware (and it includes the special boot files).

scragnoth
September 6th, 2021, 02:18 AM
I since tried the most recent lubuntu from linuxium (the respun 21.04 atom version which is there ready to download), but I still have the sound issue (it's not working), dummy output only.

I might have found a solution, but I'm not sure. I found those comments, where others before me also didn't have working sound, through a google search, the most recent one is from me, here's a direct link to it:

https://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2018/03/fixing-broken-hdmi-audio-again.html?showComment=1626564086910#c250028843388 0297706
(https://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2018/03/fixing-broken-hdmi-audio-again.html?showComment=1626564086910#c250028843388 0297706)
And also a full quote:

Hi all, the link (by "Unknown" from 21 June 2018)

https://github.com/Kitsune2222/Android_Yoga_Tablet_2-1051F_Kernel/commit/a68096caa14593b030deb54b561e6acd081df04e

has something new, at least I think so. I'm not familiar with github. When I go to "issues" - here's the link:

https://github.com/Kitsune2222/Android_Yoga_Tablet_2-1051F_Kernel/issues/1

I understand that there is a patch now to get this sound hardware working.

But I don't know what to do with it, how I can install that patch.

That Yoga 2 1051 F was given to me, I first tried to install Linux on it mid December 2020, Fedora worked out of the box (with no sound), I asked around in forums and was suggested to try linuxium, I just installed the ready-to-go respun Lubuntu 21.04 but I still have no sound unfortunately.

Can anyone tell me, if I'm correct that there's indeed a patch to get that specific sound hardware working, how to install it? I don't know what anything means on github since I never used it before.

Thanks in advance

Edit: 851F and 1051F should be the same in this regard, the processor is exactly the same between the two (Intel Atom Z3745), the only difference should be the screen size.
I mixed the models up myself, from this thread I saw that I have the 851F.

guiverc
September 6th, 2021, 04:23 AM
FYI: If you want an easy Debian install; always use the non-free ISOs

- https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/ for example

Ubuntu ISOs include those by default; you need to select options to install only freesoftware with Ubuntu, where as Debian by default includes only free unless you specifically select to include them.

FYI: Free as in Free & Open Source software, no binary-only blobs; or free as in freedom, not free beer.

scragnoth
September 7th, 2021, 04:18 PM
Last time I had debian on there I had only a text console and no working Wi-fi (it told me that during the installation already, I also tried the iso including non-free firmware). At the moment I would be interested how to try that mentioned on github.

Edit: I just wrote the creator of that patch, I hope he can help me out how I can get it working at last.

scragnoth
September 8th, 2021, 04:13 PM
Sorry for double post; yesterday I found out that the sound hardware doesn't even show up, meaning that it hasn't been recognized at all. I don't know if that always was the case, but "dummy output" is a sign for that and that I had before on some occasions. I also did a "full upgrade" on that lubuntu installation, there I don't know if the sound hardware was recognized before that or not.

I'll go through the sound troubleshooting tips within the next days, maybe I can sought it out.

Regarding this github stuff, I think I now understand what that's for. I learned about alsaucm, found the directory and compared the files. The github file had more hardware entries that the file in my directory, so I replaced it. But it couldn't work until I can get the sound hardware to be recognized.