PDA

View Full Version : Why do you, or people keep pictures?

Tadaen_Sylvermane
December 5th, 2020, 07:39 PM
Wide open question. I am not a picture person, nor are any of my family. It just was never a thing for us. However I see the occasional thread about backups, most containing something about a vast cache of family pictures collected over time. Nearly everyone I know keeps and takes pictures regularly. I'm thinking I should be recording my life in some way, the times I have. Especially in light of the world the way it is, and going (for better or worse).

Why do you do it?
What would be a good software to manage them?

crip720
December 5th, 2020, 09:22 PM
Think it is most people want to have something to remember. Quite a pictures would be of family/friends far away or passed on and cannot be replaced. A few people also just get carried away with taking pictures now because they don't have to buy film, wait to have it process any more.

TheFu
December 6th, 2020, 01:09 AM
To recall people, places, events years later.
To pass on to our kids and their kids information about where they came from, what life and people were like before they were around.
I've lived in 13 different cities and 9 different states. Photos help to remember those places, people, friends, events. Of course, I have far too many photos of rural Nebraska from my bike too. Not every photo is great ... though looking back through those of "nothing", does show something.

https://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/01/05/tips-for-digital-photo-organiz-storage-and-archival

I tried using organization software, but every few years, incompatibilities break things. Ended up with a good directory structure that has worked over a decade. I store metadata in the file headers. Lacking that, in text files in the same directory. Don't trust organizing software beyond using it temporarily to move photos into good directory structures.

PJs Ronin
December 6th, 2020, 11:45 PM
This ^^

All of this ^^

Frogs Hair
December 7th, 2020, 12:16 AM
All of the above. A year ago I had no clue I would be in a different state and am glad to have some record of where I grew up. I love the outdoors and even familiar places look different each season and year.

QIII
December 7th, 2020, 12:47 AM
Because it's hard enough to recognize faces from last week. I need pictures for the ones from sixty years ago.

Irihapeti
December 7th, 2020, 03:48 AM
Recently, a good friend of mine passed away. Not only was I glad to have pictures of him, but other people also were glad that I had pictures to share.

malspa
December 7th, 2020, 10:03 AM
What would be a good software to manage them?

I don't know -- I'm another one who doesn't use any dedicated photo organizing software.

Why do you do it?

I'm kinda surprised by this question. My initial reaction was to ask, "Why not??" Or, from the old Bud Dry commercials, "Why ask why?" Maybe the OP doesn't have kids (lol). I love photos and photography. I've accumulated a lot of outdoors/nature shots taken during road trips around Arizona and New Mexico. Also many photos of family and friends. My sister became a grandparent in August and I've been enjoying photos of the baby that I've been receiving (via text, mostly).

But I'm thinking of one example that might best answer the OP's question: I have a photo, from 1921, of my grandmother with her family, when my grandmother was only 4 years old. Yep, taken 100 years ago next year! Photos like that are treasures.

poorguy
December 14th, 2020, 01:11 AM
But I'm thinking of one example that might best answer the OP's question: I have a photo, from 1921, of my grandmother with her family, when my grandmother was only 4 years old. Yep, taken 100 years ago next year! Photos like that are treasures.

I have family photos that date back from 1920s to present date and they are treasures.

My family lived these times and recorded them.
The Great Depression
World War 1
World War 2
Korean War
Vietnam War

Family events that cover everything.
I also have censored letters sent from family in war zones to family.
I've got photos of people that my family must have known because they are in the photo and I have no clue as to who they are other than what is written on the back of photos.

Yep priceless treasures and just neat to look at how things were in the past and how much things have changed.