PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install of 20_10amd 64 on second PC doesn't look like first PC

cigtoxdoc
November 20th, 2020, 05:10 AM
My go-to laptop is my DELL Vostro 3500 and it is running 20.10 after an upgrade from 20.04 LTS, which was the result of numerous Ubuntu upgrades since 2014 when I added Ubuntu as dual-boot to Win XP Pro SP3. My second laptop is an hp ebook 840 running Windows Pro 64. I had to do a fresh install of Win 10 recently, and it wiped out the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS paritition. I just got around to installing 20.10, and have been trying to make both PC's look the same. On the eb840, I have changed the display manager to lightdm and tried to install critical (to me) software such as Sysinfo, and get the ability to make lock applications to the launcher without success. I can't even get the System Settings to work the same.

What do I need to do to make the eb840 work the way I want it to work. Display size is the same on both laptops (1366 x 768).

Thank you,

John

cigtoxdoc
November 20th, 2020, 07:49 PM
I solved this problem by "beating on the laptop" until I did something that put the full date and time in the upper right hand corner, and when I rebooted there was a small "icon" to the left of the date and time. When I clicked on it, it gave me a choice of desktops. I clicked on the one that had "unity" or something like that on it, and I got the unity desktop. If there is some way I can go back and list what I had done, I would share it with the list.

John