PDA

View Full Version : Giving Back: I clean installed Ubuntu on a rural village in Uganda - huh, what?!

rebootsaremadeforwalkin
November 19th, 2020, 07:09 PM
I've used Ubuntu on two PC's now, to great satisfaction. The spirit of Ubuntu is sharing and caring and community sense. For a price lower than installing Win10 Pro on two machines, I contracted a local charity to build a water well in the remotest, poorest village of Uganda that had no access to safe and nearby drinking water. It turned out to be a village of about 600 people - that now has at least 5 years of access to local safe drinking water, all because I didnt install Win10 Pro on 2 machines but Ubuntu Linux instead.

The price included a sign. Upon it, I used 3 brief lines that outline the philosophy of Ubuntu, being:

I AM BECAUSE WE ARE
HELPING YOU HELPS ME
TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER

What better way to crown the outlining of the philosophy of Ubuntu than with a modified, monochrome interpretation of the Ubuntu Linux symbol of a united community of cooperation that's also understandable by those who cannot read. And hey, in a way they owe it to Ubuntu Linux because of it not being Win10 Pro, it afforded the whole water well. I didnt attribute it to myself or any org, just gave them a philosophy to help them help themselves more, pumped in with every bucket of delicious, cholera free water. Every year, children under the age of 5 will live because I chose Ubuntu.

A selfless gift to that rural Ugandan community, and also a feelgood gift to the Ubuntu Linux community and a reminder that the spirit of Ubuntu doesn't stop at your computer's operating system and that your community is the world entirely. - install it on your wetware too.

Pics or it didn't happen you say?

Thumbnails below!

Thank you, Ubuntu Linux, for helping making this possible.

Have a very nice day and if anyone has any advice on this very clean install, please advise!

Raffles727
November 21st, 2020, 10:10 PM
God bless you, I also try to spread the Linux word in Africa! My African friends have been indoctrinated into believing that Linux, including Ubuntu is a very complicated operating system. This is not true, in the last few years it has become much more user friendly than Windows in my humble opinion. Please help spread the word.

rebootsaremadeforwalkin
December 24th, 2020, 02:36 PM
Christmas 2020 update!

Well #2 is struck - same Ubuntu theme, same message explaining the Philosophy

Wishing you al a very merry Christmas and a Happy and above all Healthy 2021!

NoBugs!
January 2nd, 2021, 07:02 PM
What organization was this? I know there are half dozen charities at least that do well projects around the world.

grahammechanical
January 3rd, 2021, 04:39 PM
I think that the original poster is saying that he saved money installing Ubuntu on two machines and he used the money saved by not needing to buy 2 licences for another operating system as a donation to help a village in rural Africa get a supply of clean, safe drinking water. And he gave credit to Ubuntu for being able to help. I think he also hopes that the principles that the word Ubuntu rests on get accepted by that community.

A good deed and a good reminder to not limit ourselves to taking and receiving but also to find ways to share good things with others.

Regards

P.S. I like the painted Ubuntu circle of friends logo on the base platform of the pump.

bernard010
January 4th, 2021, 06:49 PM
That is a wonderful thing having clean water and Ubuntu for communications for Uganda to keep in touch with the rest of the world. I donate a little time Translating the Afrikaans language for Ubuntu OS. 'humanity to others' - Ubuntu

remy-wehrung
February 1st, 2021, 12:44 AM
Very good initiative