PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question on 20.04 upgrade to 20.10...

boruth
November 4th, 2020, 10:20 PM
I am hoping that this will be a simple one to answer.

First, I have a tailored dual boot Grub2 configuration where I can boot either Ubuntu or Windows 10.

When I did the automatic upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 .... it LOOKED like I was following the process properly... but I got a question about saving a Grub configuration file. I did not recognize the file name so I presumed that it needed to be changed for the new version. The problem is, when I was done, my dial boot was COMPLETELY broken....and it took me the best part of a day to get back to a point where my dual boot worked again.

I swore I would never go through that again.

Now, I am faced with messaged telling me that 20.10 is available... but I am genuinely "gunshy" about performing this upgrade.

Can anyone give me a warm feeling that an automated upgrade like this SHOULD go through without damaging my dual boot configuration?

I realize that my question is a bit vague.... I can not recall PRECISELY what the message was, what the file was....but I THINK I would know it if I saw it again.

What I am hoping to get here is a feeling that, if I watch for anything trying to update a Grub related file.... and see it.... that I can LEAVE IT LIKE IT IS.....and my Grub will continue to work.

I had to pull out the stops with both Linux side AND WINDOWS side utilities and manually repair boot up information and I do NOT want to have to do that again.

Thanks in advance for any help that I might be able to get here.

Bob

T6&sfpER35%
November 4th, 2020, 10:50 PM
I've read so many problems users have when upgrading to 20.10, personally , i would stick to my 20.04

crip720
November 4th, 2020, 10:58 PM
20.04 is long term and good for 5 years. 20.10 is good for only 9 months. I imagine that your software and updates are set to notify for every new upgrade, can change to only LTS upgrades or none. Unless you need something that 20.10 provides, would forget about it.

Frogs Hair
November 4th, 2020, 11:00 PM
Notifications for new releases can be changed in software and updates to LTS only. Unless you need some specific feature in 20.10 stay where you are.

boruth
November 4th, 2020, 11:37 PM
I saw those settings but thought that they might keep "application updates" out/quiet. That is why I left it pretty wide open.
I will revisit that.
Thank you!

crip720
November 4th, 2020, 11:43 PM
Have not checked, but think update setting is above upgrade setting. Update setting should have daily, weekly, biweekly or never. Upgrade be LTS only, all, or none. You will have to check, but should be close.