PDA

View Full Version : Some questions on Cisco Packet Tracer

trpted
October 23rd, 2020, 09:36 PM
What do you guys/gals/people think of Cisco Packet Tracer?

Examples...

Is it a good program to make network diagrams (what is connected to what and how), record down the config of unit(s), and show other users your network diagram and config?

Is it a good program to learn networking? And does that include not just networking but also networking cert(s)?

Please and thank you

scorp123
October 24th, 2020, 09:31 AM
What do you guys/gals/people think of Cisco Packet Tracer?

I feel you're barking up the wrong tree... This forum is about Ubuntu Linux and open source software.

For support of commercial software from vendors such as Cisco you'd be better off asking stuff like this in their forums. Edit: Cisco provides the software for free now but you need to register on their "Networking Academy" web site.

https://www.netacad.com/courses/packet-tracer

trpted
October 24th, 2020, 09:59 PM
I feel you're barking up the wrong tree... This forum is about Ubuntu Linux and open source software.

That software runs on also Ubuntu and I know what this forum is about.

For support of commercial software from vendors such as Cisco you'd be better off asking stuff like this in their forums.

I could but I want to know a second option of someone who does not work for Cisco.

eby
October 26th, 2020, 11:16 AM
Since you asked, i've used PT few years back with Ubuntu 14 LTS (32bit). Nowadays have access to real hardware for testing scenarios and demos.

PT is good for beginners in networking, easy to learn the concepts on how to network. PT have basic commands that are available on most cisco routers and is light-weight, i was able to run older version of PT on a system with 2GB RAM.

For diagrams i use Dia, however most people use MS Visio to prepare diagrams.
For Advanced configuration scenarios, use GNS3 (require cisco, juniper, fortigate, linux, etc... images).

For certs, nothing beats years of hands on experience.

hope this helps,

uRock
October 27th, 2020, 02:10 PM
Not an ubuntu support request. Moved to Cafe.

Cisco's Packet Tracer is a great beginner's networking practice tool. I used it for years. Much easier and quieter than hooking up my Cisco rack.

GNS3 is even better, but does require IOS images and more configuration knowledge to do fun things.

slickymaster
October 27th, 2020, 03:46 PM
I recommend PT.

It was the tool I use when preparing for my CCNA and CCNP exams. Still use it these days, every now and then.