PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing LUbuntu 20.04.1 from scratch

David_Partridge
October 17th, 2020, 04:45 PM
Wanted to install on GPT disk. Was told to create a FAT32 partition /boot/efi with boot and ESP flags set. The installer gave me no way to set the ESP flag.

KDE partition manager would not do that either. I had to install GParted to set that ESP flag.

GhX6GZMB
October 17th, 2020, 05:08 PM
A few tips (the Lubuntu installer is quite easy, actually).

Do a correct language and keyboard layout selection already when doing the live boot. This makes things easier. You'll need to select language, keyboard and locale again during the real installation.

The Lubuntu live boot selection is not called "Try Ubuntu", but "Start Lubuntu".

Think about your disk partitioning. It's MUCH easier to define this during installation than later. And select "Format" for all partitions if it's a completely new install.

Otherwise it's easy. With an HDD it'll take about an hour, with an SSD 30 min. (DVD media, faster with USB).

Cheers.

grahammechanical
October 17th, 2020, 07:20 PM
This issue has been noted before. This post dating from early on in the year might help

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2442269

The Lubuntu installation guide does indeed say

f you are booting your computer in UEFI mode a more modern firmware compared to BIOS you will need to create an EFI system partition (see efi system partition Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_System_partition) for more detail). To create this partition you will need a FAT32 file-system with the ESP flag to be mounted at /boot/efi/ under the mount point. You will also need a root (/) file-system, several file-systems included for Lubuntu are Ext4, XFS, and Btrfs.

But it seems that when it comes to flags the list in the partitioner does not include ESP. I cannot prove that for sure

Regards

dragonfly41
October 17th, 2020, 08:07 PM
You can set ESP partition boot flags through Gparted which I use from LiveUSB.

GhX6GZMB
October 17th, 2020, 08:39 PM
There's really no need for all this when installing Lubuntu 20.04 from scratch. The installer will do it all for you. Just live boot and start the installer.

After selecting language, location and keyboard, the installer will take you to disk partitioning.

Select "Manual partitioning".

After that, select "New partition table". There you can select MBR or GPT.

The rest is self-explanatory. And if you've planned your partitions beforehand really simple. Add your partitions, select the mount points and tick the Format box for each of them.

There's absolutely no need to muck around with gparted or other such stuff or creating GPT partitions first. The installer will fix it.

It's easy. Really easy.

David_Partridge
October 17th, 2020, 09:21 PM
No actually that's the whole point of my post -there was NO WAY TO SET THE FLAG

GhX6GZMB
October 17th, 2020, 09:42 PM
No actually that's the whole point of my post -there was NO WAY TO SET THE FLAG

You'll find that the installer does that kind of thing for you. It seems to me you're mixing a cocktail of Lubuntu installer, CLI commands and what do I know for no reason at all.
Just do the install. Period.

I cannot reproduce your problem. And just WHO told you to "create a FAT32 partition /boot/efi with boot and ESP flags set?" Selecting /boot as mount point should be enough for that partition. Calamares (the installer) doesn't care about the rest. And at no time during the installation does this issue pop up.

Perhaps you should just install "as is" instead of adding dubious advice into the equation? It really IS very simple.

David_Partridge
October 18th, 2020, 03:15 AM
The installer told me to do that when i just created a btrfs partition - it told me I needed to create a FAT32 to be mounted at /boot/efi and that the ESP flag needed to be set. When I just created a FAT32 and told it to mount at /boot/efi as instructed, the installer COMPLAINED the ESP flag wasn't set.

guiverc
October 18th, 2020, 05:36 AM
I'll provide a link to an answer I've given on askubuntu

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1273421/lubuntu-installer-giving-error-after-partition-creation-your-system-may-or-may/1276789#1276789

It just follows an QA-test install I wanted to do (groovy) and what I normally do (with manual partitioning). The question was about a focal or 20.04 install, but it's identical.

Also FYI: I've got that message today (twice I think; more groovy installs), but install worked regardless of warning, as some boxes (firmware) have different levels of what is required (the warning applies generally to more modern boxes, it can be ignored on some older boxes). Following what I describe in the ask ubuntu question resolves it (answered that way as I find it easy to remember; adjust for your circumstances)

GhX6GZMB
October 19th, 2020, 07:32 PM
First, my apologies to @David_Partridge for implying that he's doing something wrong and mixing things up. Sorry.

It seems that the Lubuntu 20.04.1 .ISO has problems compared to the original Lubuntu 20.04 .ISO which I'm using. The original 20.04 installs without problems any time.

The 20.04.1 is called a "convenience update" which includes updates after 20.04, but apparently someone's been mucking around with other things, including the installer.

My recommendation: use the 20.04 .ISO, not the 20.04.1 .ISO and do the upgrades afterwards. Works every time.

David_Partridge
October 19th, 2020, 07:41 PM
Apology accepted! Good of you to put things straight. Thank you

David

GhX6GZMB
October 19th, 2020, 08:39 PM
Thanks.
The original (working) 20.04 .ISO is here:
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04/release/

Cheers.