PDA

View Full Version : Free CAD Program for Ubuntu

rsteinmetz70112
October 15th, 2020, 10:08 PM
I'm looking for a lightweight 2D CAD program for Linux. I'm aware of FreeCAD and LibreCAD but will look at others.

I am concerned that development is still ongoing and the compatibility with Autocad as I expect to need import files created in Autocad and other share files with Autocad users.

I have looked at LibreCAD, Its stable version was created in 2016, Its current Release Candidate was created in 2018 but Nightly builds are still being built.

I have looked a little at FreeCAD and loaded on one of my Linux Machines but loading it gives an error message "no Module name WebGUI" when loaded. The latest stable release is 0.18.4 / 26 October 2019, but the version in the 18.05 LTS repository is 0.16.

I have also downloaded and install QCAD

ActionParsnip
October 16th, 2020, 03:53 PM
https://www.ubuntupit.com/free-autocad-alternative-top-15-cad-software-for-linux/

rsteinmetz70112
October 20th, 2020, 03:08 PM
https://www.ubuntupit.com/free-autocad-alternative-top-15-cad-software-for-linux/

YEah I saw that I was hoping for some response by people who actuall use them. I used to use Draftsight when it was free.

ActionParsnip
October 21st, 2020, 01:49 PM
I'd say try a few, see which you like. Not something I use myself.

electrosteam
October 26th, 2020, 10:42 PM
I have used LibreCad on Lubuntu (currently 18.04) for the last couple of years, sometimes for short times intensively.
No problems at all.
The program simply does what it says - not expansive, but very useful.
A few interesting 'gotchas', but nothing the great Forum cannot set straight.

Keep well,
John

rsteinmetz70112
October 28th, 2020, 05:29 PM
I have used LibreCad on Lubuntu (currently 18.04) for the last couple of years, sometimes for short times intensively.
No problems at all.
The program simply does what it says - not expansive, but very useful.
A few interesting 'gotchas', but nothing the great Forum cannot set straight.

Keep well,
John

Thanks. With regard to the Forum mentioned above are you talking about this one or one specific to LibreCad? Also does it read .DWG file OK?

DuckHook
October 28th, 2020, 09:12 PM
Though I haven't tried them all, my limited (and dated) experience with many of the Linux‑based CAD apps is that they are powerful enough for most uses, but leave a lot to be desired in the area of compatibility with AutoCAD. This is not primarily the fault of the Linux alternatives themselves so much as it is due to AutoDesk's desire to proprietize as much of their underlying infrastructure as they can get away with in order to safeguard their lucrative private silo. Since almost all commercial architects and structural/civil engineers are hooked on AutoCAD, it's tough to forge your own path.

Note that my experience is a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Things may have changed in the intervening years, but back then, it was precisely the DWG file translation that was most problematic. DWG is AutoDesk's proprietary format and there was no reliable native Linux translator that did a proper job. And when it comes to drawings, even the least translation error is an invitation to disaster. Asking our professional trades to give us everything in DXF format elicited so much wailing and gnashing of teeth that it simply wasn't worth it.

The LibreCAD forum would be far better at guiding you through the various trials and tribulations of this app than our more general forum. Their forum is customized to address their app.

rsteinmetz70112
October 29th, 2020, 05:08 PM
Thanks,

I'm well aware of the problems with Autodesk and the constantly changing DWG format. I had understood that there were a couple of DWG libraries available including one from the FSF, but as far as I can tell no one really uses it, partly due to their insistence on GPL v3.