PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to 20.04, now can't do full screen.

imaginashawn2
October 11th, 2020, 04:08 AM
Upgraded from 18.04 to 20.04 a couple days ago. Finally figured out the pointer trail problem but I'm stumped on getting my videos to play full screen (Youtube, Amazon Prime, etc.). When I click on the full screen icon, instead of going full screen, the player moves to the top left, in other words 1/4 screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ActionParsnip
October 11th, 2020, 08:45 AM
What is the output of:

sudo lshw -C display; lsb_release -a; uname -a

Thanks

imaginashawn2
October 14th, 2020, 10:23 PM
Thank you Action Parsnip for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I'm going to try your suggestion next but I wanted to thank you first in case I can't find my post again.

CelticWarrior
October 14th, 2020, 10:30 PM
Please note the command above is to gather information about your hardware and Ubuntu release/kernel version, information that is missing and shouldn't be from the OP. It changes absolutely nothing.

imaginashawn2
October 14th, 2020, 10:36 PM
*-display:0
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 03
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:16 memory:f7c00000-f7ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:ecb0(size=8) memory:c0000-dffff
*-display:1 UNCLAIMED
description: Display controller
product: 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
version: 03
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:f7b00000-f7bfffff
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal
Linux imaginashawn-OptiPlex-780 5.4.0-48-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 10 10:58:49 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

imaginashawn2
October 14th, 2020, 10:40 PM
Got it Celtic Warrior thank you.

CelticWarrior
October 14th, 2020, 10:42 PM
First of all make sure your system is fully updated:

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Reboot. Try again. Post results.

imaginashawn2
October 14th, 2020, 10:49 PM
I just noticed I never said that this problem is only in Firefox. I tried a couple other browsers and full screen works perfect. I tried removing Firefox, rebooting and installing Firefox. That worked for yesterday but today I get quarter screen again. Because of this, I'm thinking maybe it's got to do with Flash?

imaginashawn2
October 16th, 2020, 05:42 PM
I updated and the problem persist. Problem is only with Firefox so I deleted Firefox, rebooted and re-installed Firefox. Still same problem. Mozilla offers no solutions to this problem.

SeijiSensei
October 16th, 2020, 06:33 PM
Reinstalling Firefox won't fix issues in your profile. Close all instances of Firefox, then try this:

cd ~
mv .mozilla mozilla.old

Note the leading period. Now start Firefox and try again.

imaginashawn2
October 20th, 2020, 01:11 AM
I reverted to old file in Mozilla as you suggested. The only thing that changed is it turned off DRM content. I turned it back on and went to Amazon Prime Videos and tried full screening a show there but same thing. I tried doing some upgrades manually like, graphics driver and flash. Both said they were already up to date. I wonder if it's something corrupt in my flash. I was thinking of removing it, restarting and installing it. What do you think? Worth a try or no. One more thing I forgot to mention yesterday, I've been getting an error message everytime I start the computer. It's a error detected by whoopsie. Don't remeber the whole string but the error code is 1899347. I couldn't find it.

imaginashawn2
October 20th, 2020, 01:31 AM
I think I've got it. The phasing out of flash is my problem. I just looked at my flash and the always on selection is gone. Probably happened when I upgraded Ubuntu. Only options now are never turn on and always ask. Guess I need to find another flash besides Adobe. Thanks for your help.

CelticWarrior
October 20th, 2020, 04:58 PM
Guess I need to find another flash besides Adobe.

No, you need to move on with your life.
There is no other "Flash" and it's an old and obsolete technology about to be axed for good. Nothing (no website/service) important nowadays uses it, Youtube particularly moved to HTML5 almost a decade ago.