PDA

View Full Version : Will Microsoft turn Windows 10 into a yet another Linux distro?

trpted
October 3rd, 2020, 02:36 AM
I just saw this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdycbruoZ9s

What do you guys/gals/people think of what is addressed in it?

zebra2
October 5th, 2020, 02:07 AM
Sounds like a winner to me. Dual boot with no secure boot needed. Besides, many have tried to emulate the Windows desktop on linux (XP) but of course it wouldn't run Windows programs. So if Microsoft who happens to be a platinum member of the linux foundation wants to run their desktop on top of a linux kernel and port Windows Program to it I say, why not. It's time they come home to daddy. We'll be one big happy family.

CelticWarrior
October 5th, 2020, 02:24 AM
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2451375

As said above: Not likely.
The video and the blog post are rumor mills and clickbait. The reasoning for that possibility is a bunch of non-sequiturs (Azure) and upside-down logic (WSL2).
From a commercial viewpoint it never made sense for Microsoft to move Windows to a Linux kernel and with WSL2 it makes even less sense now.

zebra2
October 5th, 2020, 03:14 AM
I saw the "Not likely". But "not likely" equates to a guess and by itself a non-sequitur. I think that a corporation as big and rich as Microsoft won't let linux kernel run the world forever by its self. They aren't playing with and investing in linux for no return. I'm an old fart and probably won't see it happen but looking back, everything man has imagined thus far has happened.

Shibblet
October 6th, 2020, 04:38 PM
This detracts from one of the main purposes of using Linux. Not using an OS that tracks everything you do.

I mean, if we're all okay with privacy violations, then by all means, start using your Linux software on Windows.

sdsurfer
October 8th, 2020, 03:59 PM
everything man has imagined thus far has happened.

Still waiting for my flying car. :-D

zebra2
October 8th, 2020, 04:58 PM
Still waiting for my flying car. :-D
[/COLOR]

Actually, it is in testing and pre-production, saw it on the news the other day. It looks like a minicooper/drone. What I actually am amazed about this and the other post like it is the "skynet" mention in regards to the Nvida 10,000 core arm processor. If you can imagine that processor with an impregnable linux kernel running a screw-up desktop like Microsoft and it has runaway train written all over it. I already know that Microsoft will be part of it because they are buying interest at various important levels, cloud, linux foundation, chunks of open source code and various other ventures like linux on Windows. If we have imagined it, it is on the way.
PS, enjoy your flying car with the linux kernel and I hope it doesn't hunt you down when the code runs riot.

Shibblet
October 8th, 2020, 09:44 PM
So then Windows is able to run Free/Open Source Software, that is compiled for Free/Open Source operating systems WITHOUT becoming Free/Open Source.

But Linux is still unable to run Windows based software without emulation / virtualization / compatibility layers that don't always work...

Cornering the market, and destroying the competition... now THAT sounds like Microsoft.

ajgreeny
October 8th, 2020, 10:27 PM
So then Windows is able to run Free/Open Source Software, that is compiled for Free/Open Source operating systems WITHOUT becoming Free/Open Source.

But Linux is still unable to run Windows based software without emulation / virtualization / compatibility layers that don't always work...

Cornering the market, and destroying the competition... now THAT sounds like Microsoft.
Windows has always been able to run some open source software packages; it was partly that ability that lead me to consider Linux 15 years ago when I moved to Ubuntu 5.04.

I used VLC, gimp, firefox and thunderbird for a few years on Windows-XP before I had even heard of or knew what Linux was all about, so when I heard about Linux, what it was and could do, I investigated more deeply. This led to not using Windows ever again, except for a VM for the very few things Linux is incapable of doing, at the moment; who knows what might happen in future?

Shibblet
October 8th, 2020, 11:34 PM
Windows has always been able to run some open source software packages; it was partly that ability that lead me to consider Linux 15 years ago when I moved to Ubuntu 5.04.

I used VLC, gimp, firefox and thunderbird for a few years on Windows-XP before I had even heard of or knew what Linux was all about, so when I heard about Linux, what it was and could do, I investigated more deeply. This led to not using Windows ever again, except for a VM for the very few things Linux is incapable of doing, at the moment; who knows what might happen in future?

Yep. A lot of our favorite Free/Open Source software is available for Windows. This pushes the "exclusivity" barrier back a bit. Valve has tried to do something similar with Steam and Proton.
I kind of like the exclusivity idea, but the exposure the software gets would be a lot less. For Example: GIMP is a great photo editing program, and has done VERY well for Free/Open Source software, because it is also available on Windows.

I also don't like the "exclusivity" idea because it limits people to doing things one way. For Example: I want to play Super Mario Bros, but I only own a PS4.