PDA

View Full Version : The slowness of compiz/XGL

jISh
August 27th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Does it bother you? I've recently been experimenting with it, and have it installed just fine and tweaked the way I want it.

It's just the slowness of scrolling web pages and using some applications that takes some getting used to. Also playing videos is choppy and I have to use VLC instead of Mplayer to get decent output. The effects are great, but does it justify this?

I have 2.6GHZ Pentium 4 with 512MB of RAM and older Geforce 4 MX440 card.

It is really good to be able to switch between compiz/metacity with the little red cube in the notification area, for when I really need the speed instead of effects. Just wondering how people cope with the slowness all the time.

prizrak
August 27th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I think your video card is just not powerful enough. I got a GeForce Go 6200 and it flys. Videos are awesome especially playing with the transparencies ;)

atrus123
August 27th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Are you using the Quinnstorm builds?

I find those run slower on my machine than Vanilla (ATI Xpress 200m videocard).

With Quinn, even scrolling webpages was slow, but with Vanilla, they scroll just as well as if I were using Metacity. Of course, Vanilla appears to lack a few features as well.

But mplayer is slow no matter what I'm using.

Do users of Aiglx experience the same levels of slowdown when using mplayer? Is this an Xgl exclusive issue?

Ramses de Norre
August 27th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I use the quinn repos and XGL/Compiz runs pretty smooth, though slower than fluxbox what I used most of the time.
I have an athlon64 3700+ and an ati radeon x600, since one of the latest updates xine runs pretty good with movies, I never use mplayer or vlc..
I don't use compiz a lot due to its instability but it's nice to use it sometimes.

Kayne
August 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM
With Quinn repos, it's slow for me, too, I have Athlon XP 2800+ with nvidia 5900XT and 1 GB RAM.

Videos are also not so nice because of many dropped frames and since Firefox uses GL to scroll webpages it's more of a slow motion. Compiz also renders Picasa practically useless.

So I'm really looking forward to AIGLX

jISh
August 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I am using Quinn. How do I switch to vanilla packages, is there an easy way without redoing anything??

It is possible that it's my video card, but I've heard of people using Compiz with far less powerful hardware.

daou
August 27th, 2006, 07:01 PM
XGL/Compiz runs fine here (Geforce 6600 GT, AMD64 3000). Just a rare 1-2 second freeze with the switcher plugin.

givré
August 27th, 2006, 07:41 PM
did you try to disable the "slowness fix", apparently it fix slowness for some people but make it slow for some other, check it in apps>compiz>general>screen0 in gconf

nalmeth
August 27th, 2006, 10:07 PM
mplayer slowness does happen, only when I'm using the cube or zooming though.

In the last batch of updates (for the last couple months actually) AIGLX has been quite slow, both vanilla and quinn

_simon_
August 27th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Never had any speed problems what so ever here using quinns + XGL.

Athlon 3200+, 1 Gig Ram, Geforce 6800 (128Mb)

Runs as quickly as you would expect it to, no pauses or crashes ever.

It also runs perfectly fine on my partners machine - Athlon 2500+, 1 gig ram, Geforce 5600 (256mb).

jISh
August 27th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Seems a TINY bit faster with slowness fix disabled.
Maybe it's my video card and RAM.
Oh well, I'll keep compiz around for showing off and stuff, but for everyday use I think I'll stick with metacity. As I said, nice to be able to toggle between the two with such ease.

arsenic23
August 27th, 2006, 11:43 PM
This is kinda amusing to me, because when I started using XGL/Compiz I switched from VLC to Mplayer. Basically I didn't like how VLC glitched up on me all the time and occationally artifacted.

The only slowdown I get with Compiz is from the swoosh effect when you maximize windows, but it's very small. ( Though I do have a 7800GT on the machine that's running it. )

Blondie
August 28th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Seems perfectly fast for me on my 1.8 GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, 6200 Geforce.

roderikk
August 28th, 2006, 07:44 PM
It is really good to be able to switch between compiz/metacity with the little red cube in the notification area, for when I really need the speed instead of effects. Just wondering how people cope with the slowness all the time.

I've been looking for this (probably not searching very well though....). Would you happen to know were I can find a tut for this?

jISh
August 28th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I've been looking for this (probably not searching very well though....). Would you happen to know were I can find a tut for this?
Honestly, I am not sure which package it is, I followed this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=225141&highlight=compiz+howto) tutorial to set up my XGL/Compiz and the tray icon was installed along with it.