PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Following update to 20.4 my desktop launchers no longer work

sussexlad
October 1st, 2020, 04:00 PM
As per title I was offered this upgrade this morning and foolishly accepted and now whilst most things seem OK. the launchers for various files and Moneydance no longer work, simply displaying the launcher content instead. Is there, hopefully, a simple solution?
TIA

sussexlad
October 9th, 2020, 07:17 AM
A week ago I posted the following... it's had no reads and no replies. Why's that please? (I've modified it slightly !)

'As per title I was offered this upgrade this morning and foolishly accepted and now whilst most things seem OK. the launchers for various files and Moneydance no longer work, simply displaying the launcher content instead of actually working. Is there, hopefully, a simple soluion '

As for the issue I have reverted to 18 for the time being, hoping it will get sorted out before having another go .

Impavidus
October 9th, 2020, 09:20 AM
That thread of a week ago was here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2451309
You may have noticed that the number of views is always one more than the number of replies. In other words, it's not the number of views. It's a bug in the forum software. Sometimes people just don't reply because they think someone else will come with a better reply than they could give. Sometimes this means that nobody replies. As time passes, it becomes less likely somebody will come with a good reply, so giving a somewhat less good reply gets more acceptable.

coffeecat
October 9th, 2020, 10:45 AM
@sussexlad, I've merged this latest thread with your week-old thread. If you do not get a reply after about 12-24 hours, you are welcome to bump the thread to bring it up to the top and to the attention of those in different time zones who may have missed it. Please do not start duplicate threads. This simply causes confusion.

it's had no reads and no replies. Why's that please? (I've modified it slightly !)

Ten forum members read your original thread - perhaps they had nothing to suggest. And, as said, you are more likely to get replies if you bump your thread.

sussexlad
October 9th, 2020, 05:17 PM
@sussexlad, I've merged this latest thread with your week-old thread. If you do not get a reply after about 12-24 hours, you are welcome to bump the thread to bring it up to the top and to the attention of those in different time zones who may have missed it. Please do not start duplicate threads. This simply causes confusion.

Ten forum members read your original thread - perhaps they had nothing to suggest. And, as said, you are more likely to get replies if you bump your thread.

Apologies for the repetition... it was the lack of views which puzzled me. I'm going to stick with what I've got for now. Thanks.

keep-tryin
October 10th, 2020, 04:43 AM
I just moved from Lubuntu 18.04 to Ubuntu 20.04 and to get my Lubuntu desktop icons to work I had to install Gnome-tweaks and Gnome-shell-extensions then open tweak turn on Desktop icons under applications. Finally right click on the icon and choose allow to launch. Maybe this will help solve your problem.

sussexlad
October 11th, 2020, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I've made a note and when I give it another try, it may sort it. I'm kind of tempted to go for the clean install option !

sussexlad
October 12th, 2020, 04:32 PM
Tweaks is installed but there is no Applications option, only Startup Applications. Whenever I do attempt to create a launcher, the 'Allow to launch' option is not there ! Having said that, I have a single launcher fo Moneydance which does work and does have that option but for the life me, I can't see what the difference is. All the permissions are the same anyway. For now I've created several sym-links to open various files Cheers.

sussexlad
October 12th, 2020, 07:00 PM
Ok, I've finally sorted it out, well got it working following....
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-create-desktop-shortcut-launcher-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux
I selected Yelp.desktop, the final example and then modified it to me requirements.
I guess there's an easier way but I'm happy. Thanks for the suggestion.

watchpocket
October 12th, 2020, 08:30 PM
You might want to mark this thread as "solved." You can do that from the thread tools menu.