PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Show apps icons management

HC48
September 14th, 2020, 10:44 AM
Hello, I know this has already been treated in this forum but the thread is closed and I need more information. the title of the thread is: Add/Delete (manage) icons from show apps
I am not experienced enough to fully understand the advice given and not good with the terminal so please bear with me.:)

The initial question was : So, anyone knows how to manage those icons from "show apps" ? when uninstalled apps icons remain in the show apps launcher.
I have the same problem ie. I have unwanted icons on the show apps launcher and can't get rid of them. They are apps installed with wine, when I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Digital Editions I got extra icons when I was testing different versions so have several of the same app. I have two icons for discord and 2 for ADE DRM removal app. I used play on linux for ADE and the logitech store for discord. When discord occasionally offers to update a new version on opening I don't know how to so I uninstall and reinstall with the logitech store which works fine.

We are told:

"If it behaves like Wine on my XUbuntu 18.04, then it creates .desktop-files in ~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs when a Windows setup program makes the calls to create a menu-item in Windows. Deleting or moving them outside ~/.local/share/applications should remove them. Alternatively you could open the ones you don't want in an editor and add a line saying 'Hidden=yes' or 'NotShowIn=Gnome'."

I'm afraid I don't understand how to do any of this.

How do I get to " .desktop-files in ~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs ", in the folders manager or in a terminal?

Which editor do I use for the second method :' Alternatively you could open the ones you don't want in an editor and add a line saying 'Hidden=yes' or 'NotShowIn=Gnome'." ?( I think this way would be easier for me...)

Would this work in ubuntu 18.04?

This is not a serious problem in itself but I am curious to have a solution.
Thank you.

webaake
September 14th, 2020, 11:17 AM
I do wine and 18.04 too, but I do not have any files in ~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs. What you can do is to search for for the relevant *.desktop files iin the terminal like so:

locate *.desktop

There might be many files, some might even be in /usr/share/applications and/or in /home/"Your_user"/.local/share/applications/ (Change "your_user to your actual user name)

All files in /usr/share/applications can only be removed or edited with admin rights. The editor from terminal is called nano. So, to edit *.dektop files in your home dir type:

nano /home/"Your_user"/.local/share/applications/the_relevant_file.desktop

To study and learn more type from terminal:

man nano

which will show all commands within the ditor nano. nano is a very useful tool in the Linux world, and it can accomplish more than most graphical editors more effectively.

Learn more about the "desktop"-file specs and syntax.

Have fun learning! :) :)
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/index.html

HC48
September 14th, 2020, 12:51 PM
Thank you weebaake. I will look into this. have a nice day. :)