PDA

View Full Version : Any cute wild life in your area?

trpted
September 5th, 2020, 02:49 PM
Just today my parents and I saw a total of three foxes but only one fox at a time.

I was just wondering if you saw any cute wild life in your area?

We saw them not only from a safe distance, we saw them while we were indoors.
Please respect nature likewise.

Please and thank you.

TheFu
September 5th, 2020, 05:33 PM
We have lots of wildlife here in Squidbilly-land.

Deer (mom and baby), opossums, racoon, skunk, fox, coyote, rabbits (lots and lots of rabbits), squirrels (way too many squirrels!), chipmunks (too many!), snakes, turtles, geckos (saw one yesterday on the front porch), and all sorts of birds.

About once a year a wild boar or black bear will be seen nearby, though I've never seen them on our property. If it were legal, I'd shoot the boar. They tend to be mean and like to dig.

Away from home, I've had close encounters with all sorts of wild animals with 10 ft (3m). Grizzly bears, black bears, Guanacos, fox, moose, elk, rams. Most were in places that the animals knew about humans as weren't surprised. Opening a cabin door and seeing a 600 lbs grizzly walking passed on the path we took daily, just a few feet away, is unexpected. He paused for a few seconds, looked at me, then continued on his way down to the river for some fishing.
Backyard Deer
Bears in Katmai NP
Guanaco and baby inside Torres del Paine NP
Guanaco inside Torres del Paine NP

I took each photo with a Canon Point-n-shoot. Thousands more photos of nature, wildlife, from around the world and the back yard.

oldos2er
September 5th, 2020, 07:28 PM
In High Plains (US) suburbia, squirrels, rabbits, many birds, chipmunks. In a field not far from my house live many prairie dogs, they're considered pests by many people here. I've little doubt that the prairie dogs think the same of humans.

Deer are in the general area too.

monkeybrain20122
September 5th, 2020, 09:32 PM
Lots of fat raccoons around, there is also a skunk that comes around the block every night, it is cute but stinky.

T6&sfpER35%
September 5th, 2020, 10:07 PM

some kitties yea lol

Tadaen_Sylvermane
September 6th, 2020, 12:44 AM
I live out in the desert a bit in Tucson Arizona and I can say I rarely see anything unfortunately except big squirrels. Lots of stray dogs and cats though. I did see a couple Javelina a couple years ago at the back fence, but considering where I live that is not as often as one would expect. I'm not sure why this is. Maybe because no natural easily accessible water in the area. Hell I haven't even seen any snakes this year I think except for one squished up on the road awhile back.

TheFu
September 6th, 2020, 01:15 PM
Looked up what Javelina were - small boar? Boars are found in some unexpected places of the world.

3nd, did you take that photo? My photos were taken by me. My ZA trip didn't see any living lions, but did see lots of other wildlife.

guiverc
September 6th, 2020, 01:54 PM
I love the pictures I've seen, and [love] animals.

I live in the suburbs of Melbourne, so the only time I see foxes I sure hope I saw them before the dog (so I can grab hold before he'd starts the chase...)

I see the odd bird in the backyard, probably because I put food out :)

(They're not all Little Corella, some can long bill [Corella], red-black (gang gang), pink & grey (galah), noisy multi-colored (rainbow lorikeets, musk lorikeets), magpies, currawong, crested pigeons & spotted doves... I like the Corella, just beware they bite (ankles as well as hands))

https://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=286888&thumb=1&d=1599396336 (https://ubuntuforums.org/album.php?albumid=2654&attachmentid=286888)

T6&sfpER35%
September 6th, 2020, 06:41 PM
3nd, did you take that photo?
no lol ,that's a googled pic. probably in a game park.luckily lions don't roam freely here.

mastablasta
September 7th, 2020, 07:00 AM
if you go to the forest chances are you will only later see ticks infested with meningitis or lyme disease. so mostly i do walk during colder time.

last interesting one was a wild rooster and mountain goat (chamois). they are both endangered species here. in the deeper woods we often make noise to avoid any brown bear encounter. i haven't see one in the woods, and as cute as they might be i don't really want to cross path with them.

sdsurfer
September 8th, 2020, 02:57 PM
some kitties yea lol

Where does a lion sleep?

Wherever in the heck they want!

ameinild
September 9th, 2020, 09:07 AM
Where I live (Zealand, Denmark) we have lots of squirrels during the day and bats in the evening.
I also live very close to "Jęgersborg Dyrehave (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A6gersborg_Dyrehave)" (translated: Deer Garden), where there are of course deer as well as other wildlife - including the rare European stag beetle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucanus_cervus).

TheFu
September 9th, 2020, 01:58 PM
Love beetles and other insects! Not sure the species, but I've seen beetles pushing dung balls around here. Not the monsters we've all seen on TV, but the push it tail first, just like the big boys.

In the nearby mountains, the woolly bear - really woolly worm/bug get their own summer festival.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Woolly-Bear-Caterpillar.jpg