PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 6

kripkenstein
August 27th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I just gave Fedora Core 6 (nonstable) a try. Yum is still slow as ever - so much less convenient than apt-get. Ah well. But:

On the other hand, Fedora as a whole takes less RAM and feels faster than most distros I'm used to, including Ubuntu. But I wonder if this doesn't have to do with the newer versions of the kernel, x.org and GNOME, that might be it. Perhaps I'll install Edgy when the beta comes out to compare.

I also like the installer, Anaconda. We need something like that in Ubuntu :)

Perfect Storm
August 27th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I think you should be careful also when comparing two unstable distro. There might be a bug in one of the distros which the other part havn't fixed yet etc.

anaconda
August 29th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Nice to hear that you like Anaconda..

ihavenoname
September 30th, 2006, 04:42 AM
I just gave Fedora Core 6 (nonstable) a try. Yum is still slow as ever - so much less convenient than apt-get. Ah well. But:

On the other hand, Fedora as a whole takes less RAM and feels faster than most distros I'm used to, including Ubuntu. But I wonder if this doesn't have to do with the newer versions of the kernel, x.org and GNOME, that might be it. Perhaps I'll install Edgy when the beta comes out to compare.

I also like the installer, Anaconda. We need something like that in Ubuntu :)

Really? I have noticed a considerable difference in speed btwn The old yum and the new one. It is still not as fast as apt=get but if it is speed you want from your package manager you should take a look at pacman for arch linux. It has what is arguably the best package management suite of any distro. It is super easy to make packages and repos for it. And it is very good at handling dependencies. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

hey_ian
October 16th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Pacman is good, APT is much better. There are lots of package management systems and I tried also lots of them like Portage, Yum, up2date from the old RedHat Linux, Yast - but all in all my opinion APT is the fastest and the most stable package management solution.

ihavenoname
October 16th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I also wanted to add that I agree with kripkenstein, Fedora has been getting faster and faster. Unfortunatly Edgy actually seems slower to me. I have found Fedora's GNOME to be more pleasent as well (but thats is very subjective). (Kubuntu is probablay the best KDE distro I have used however)

hey_ian
October 17th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Fedora uses older kernels than Ubuntu. It is only faster because it has less effects and less customizability. Ubuntu has too much add-ons making it slower.

hey_ian
October 17th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Kubuntu is probablay the best KDE distro I have used however

Did you try Kanotix?

ihavenoname
October 17th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Fedora uses older kernels than Ubuntu. It is only faster because it has less effects and less customizability. Ubuntu has too much add-ons making it slower.

Fedora Core 5 is currently on kernel 2.6.18. Ubuntu Dapper is on 2.15 and it released after FC5. Edgy is currently on kernel 2.17 so the stable Fedora is actually using a newer kernel than "Unstable" Ubuntu.

Did you try Kanotix?

No, I haven't is it worth a try? What features does it have?

ComplexNumber
October 17th, 2006, 10:58 PM
thats rubbish and is not the reason. fedora has much more installed for a typical base install than ubuntu, yet its still faster. in addition to that, fedora(unlike ubuntu) has selinux switched on by default, giving it a further handicap.

ihavenoname
October 18th, 2006, 03:59 AM
thats rubbish and is not the reason. fedora has much more installed for a typical base install than ubuntu, yet its still faster. in addition to that, fedora(unlike ubuntu) has selinux switched on by default, giving it a further handicap.
Ice ice baby! hahah jk.

hey_ian
October 19th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Read carefully before saying anything! I do not mean the typical install, but the customization of GNOME. Ubuntu has a well adjusted GNOME with lots of effects in comparison to FC6, which offers only a plain GNOME. Actually I like it, if the software is offered plain without any adjustments. But exactly such adjustments make Ubuntu slower.
P.S.: If you want a really fast system, give Debian Etch a try.

Lord Illidan
October 19th, 2006, 10:33 PM
FC 5 sucked in comparison to Ubuntu Edgy, imho.

1. Yum's repo system is completely confusing to me, at least.
2. The default packages for installing programs were slow and crashy. Smart was nice.
3. I prefer the sudo method. In fedora, i stayed logging in as root, as sudo couldn't do many things.

Yum is better than apt in 1 thing, it shows more comprehensive info in the terminal.

hey_ian
October 19th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Fedora Core 5 is currently on kernel 2.6.18. Ubuntu Dapper is on 2.15 and it released after FC5. Edgy is currently on kernel 2.17 so the stable Fedora is actually using a newer kernel than "Unstable" Ubuntu.

Nonsense FC5 uses kernel 2.6.15-1.2054 as standard. Of course you can update the kernel, but you can make the same update on Dapper/Edgy too.

Your question about KANOTIX: Kanotix is a rock-solid Linux based on Debian-Sid, which contains the newest packages and recognizes more modern hardware than any other operating system in use today.
www.kanotix.com (http://www.kanotix.com) for more information

hey_ian
October 19th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Yum is better than apt in 1 thing, it shows more comprehensive info in the terminal.

As a matter of fact the information shown by APT is more than enough, yum shows useless information. Of course FC5 sucks in comparison with Edgy, FC5 is older than Edgy and even older than Dapper. You should compare FC6 with Edgy rather than FC5.

Lord Illidan
October 19th, 2006, 10:42 PM
As a matter of fact the information shown by APT is more than enough, yum shows useless information. Of course FC5 sucks in comparison with Edgy, FC5 is older than Edgy and even older than Dapper. You should compare FC6 with Edgy rather than FC5.

On my upgraded pc, dapper wouldn't install because of an old kernel...which meant that FC5 beat Dapper 8)

BWF89
October 20th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Question about Fedora Core. Is updating your Fedora installation to the newest version as easy as typing in dist-upgrade like you do in Ubuntu? Does upgrading to a newer version in Fedora generally have more or less problems than doing the same thing in Ubuntu?

hey_ian
October 20th, 2006, 02:25 PM
It is almost impossible to upgrade from one FC version to the next major release. You can indeed upgrade your FC version, but you get almost only security updates (e.g. GNOME 2.14 becomes 2.14.3 after installation, but if you want GNOME 2.16, you MUST download the DVD and make an upgrade install).

hey_ian
October 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM
On my upgraded pc, dapper wouldn't install because of an old kernel...which meant that FC5 beat Dapper 8)

AGAIN: you cannot install Dapper because your FC5 kernel is up to date? I am sure you can update the FC5 kernel to the newest version, but Fedora ships kernel 2.6.15 in the original DVD. Ubuntu freezes up the repo, so you cannot update. I agree that this is the one things which is better in FC

BWF89
October 20th, 2006, 08:35 PM
It is almost impossible to upgrade from one FC version to the next major release. You can indeed upgrade your FC version, but you get almost only security updates (e.g. GNOME 2.14 becomes 2.14.3 after installation, but if you want GNOME 2.16, you MUST download the DVD and make an upgrade install).
So if I had Fedora 4 on my computer and wanted to upgrade to 5 and burned the Fedora CDs it wouldn't upgrade the distro completely? I would have to reinstall the system from scratch if I wanted to get everything the new major release had to offer?

hey_ian
October 20th, 2006, 11:23 PM
So if I had Fedora 4 on my computer and wanted to upgrade to 5 and burned the Fedora CDs it wouldn't upgrade the distro completely? I would have to reinstall the system from scratch if I wanted to get everything the new major release had to offer?

No no, you understood me wrong. You can indeed upgrade from e.g. FC5 to FC6, but you MUST download the DVD or the CD set to do that. Then you have to run anaconda and choose the upgrade option. What I mean is you cannot upgrade your FC system as comfortable as on Debian, with such commands like "apt-get dist-upgrade", which download all new packages and upgrade the complete system. You even do not have to reboot!!! Anyway yum of FC has also an update function, but it updates your system only installing some security upgrades, e.g. GNOME 2.14 becomes GNOME 2.14.3. If you want GNOME 2.16, you have to download the DVD and make the upgrade trough anaconda.

BWF89
October 21st, 2006, 04:10 AM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

chaosgeisterchen
October 22nd, 2006, 09:24 PM
But still Fedora has the newer Kernel as it uses 2.6.18. I do not know whether this is good for anything.

ihavenoname
October 22nd, 2006, 10:54 PM
well, you could switch the to development repo and yum upgrade and that will do it as well, I did that to get to FC6t2 from FC5. For the new release you can get the fc6-release rpm install it then run a yum update. The wiki here has more information http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq)
it should be updated in a few days when fc6 goes final.

ComplexNumber
October 24th, 2006, 07:31 PM
No no, you understood me wrong. You can indeed upgrade from e.g. FC5 to FC6, but you MUST download the DVD or the CD set to do that. Then you have to run anaconda and choose the upgrade option. What I mean is you cannot upgrade your FC system as comfortable as on Debian, with such commands like "apt-get dist-upgrade", which download all new packages and upgrade the complete system. You even do not have to reboot!!! Anyway yum of FC has also an update function, but it updates your system only installing some security upgrades, e.g. GNOME 2.14 becomes GNOME 2.14.3. If you want GNOME 2.16, you have to download the DVD and make the upgrade trough anaconda.
that is 100% garbage. all you need to do is to download 1 rpm called fedora-release. once installed, it updates all the repos to point to FC6 instead of the previous one. to install, just double click on the rpm or do 'rpm -Uvh fedora-release' on the command line. the screenshot shows part of the contents of the fedora-release rpm and includes the new repo url's. all you need to do after that is 'sudo yum update'. nothing could be more simple.

EDIT: just noticed that ihavenoname has just said the same as what i've said.