PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Resize windows only using mouse (for a user with handycap)

robbystarck
September 3rd, 2020, 05:00 PM
Hi,

i know that resizing windows on xfce is a big problem and i know that i can do this with ALT and right click. But this isn't helpful for my because i lost my right hand 2 years ago and i can't use keyboard and mouse at the same time. Is there any way to resize windows only with mouse? I use greybird and here the area at the window edge where i can resize the window is sooo small. Can i change this by do some changed in one of the themes files? Or mapping right and left mouse button at the same time to the combination of ALT+right click? Can i change this behaviour with an other theme? If so it should possible to change greybird.

robby

halogen2
September 3rd, 2020, 05:47 PM
I use Openbox window manager instead of xfwm4 and select an Openbox theme with thicker window borders.

Also, for what it's worth, last I checked in xfwm4 it might be easier to resize window from the top corners.

CatKiller
September 3rd, 2020, 06:43 PM
You might find that sticky keys (https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings/accessibility) would do the trick for you.

robbystarck
September 3rd, 2020, 08:39 PM
can be helpful will try it.

using openbox is not a solution. there are reasons why i use xfce. i also tried kwin with xfce but i will never again install any kde stuff.

is this small "resize area" a problem with the window manager or the theme? what process manages how thin this area is?

halogen2
September 4th, 2020, 01:32 AM
using openbox is not a solution. there are reasons why i use xfce.

To be clear, I did not suggest ever switching away from Xfce. It's possible to use openbox under Xfce, that's what I'm doing right now and on multiple machines.

is this small "resize area" a problem with the window manager or the theme?

I think it's the theme. Try the Breeze xfwm4 theme? -

sudo apt-get install xfwm4-theme-breeze

tea for one
September 4th, 2020, 10:55 AM
When you open a window in XFCE, there should be a little icon on the top left generally above File.

Left click will open a little menu with a Resize option.

The resize control will appear at the bottom right corner of the open window.

Move the mouse and click again when you are happy with the resized window.