PDA

View Full Version : False/misleading info in a vid at youtube about Downloading torrents

trpted
September 1st, 2020, 10:21 PM
One of the things that they said at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H2jhigE2Tw

that downloading torrents is illegal.

While there is some truth to that, that is not completely true.

What should have said to make the info that they presented true about downloading torrents?

Please and thank you

Yellow Pasque
September 1st, 2020, 10:27 PM
If you don't like it or agree with it, you should take it up with the person that posted it (i.e. on youtube). Maybe a discussion about torrent legality fits into some other sub-forum on this site, but this is not a general support question about Ubuntu.

jeremy31
September 1st, 2020, 10:37 PM
Moved to the cafe as it is not an Ubuntu support question

QIII
September 1st, 2020, 11:34 PM
Torrenting copyrighted material without remuneration to the holder of the copyright is illegal in many jurisdictions.

Torrenting that which is expressly offered for free is generally not.

Torrenting is a process for communicating material and is not, in and of itself, any more illegal than downloading a file from a legitimate source by any other means.

What the laws are in any given jurisdiction varies.

Shibblet
September 1st, 2020, 11:40 PM
Downloading copyrighted material is illegal. File sharing is not.

I downloaded the latest version of Kubuntu with a torrent, because it's significantly faster than hoping one of the mirror links isn't broken.
If there are torrents available for any kind of file that is "legitimate," I'd happily use those instead.

Plus, Kubuntu 20.04.1 is a 1.7gb file... And i don't have screaming fast internet. So, if the download stops in the browser, it has to pick up from the beginning... not with a Torrent.
I can start the DL, and go to bed, and not have to worry about the download failing sometime in the night.

exploder
September 1st, 2020, 11:58 PM
I agree with everything Shibblet said! I use torrents for exactly the same reason.

mastablasta
September 2nd, 2020, 06:12 AM
Downloading copyrighted material is illegal. File sharing is not.

world of tanks used to have updates via torrent. i think league of legends used to have it as well. at least the way it acted seemed like torrent to me. downloading itself is not illegal. creating copies is (in some countries).

while in some it is allowed to create copies for personal and non commercial use. or for example to do research or to create extracts from books, films etc. because later you have to add source and all that.

in South Korea, they make copies and send them off with balloons to heaven.

Shibblet
September 2nd, 2020, 07:55 PM
world of tanks used to have updates via torrent. i think league of legends used to have it as well. at least the way it acted seemed like torrent to me. downloading itself is not illegal. creating copies is (in some countries).

Some online games "torrent" within their own front-end client software. It's a very efficient way to deliver data. Plus is spreads out the bandwidth, and efficiently decreases the download time.

Doesn't Windows 10 have an option in it that allows for downloading of updates to come from other reliable sources instead of Just Microsoft's servers?

Just found it on my computer at work... it's not a "torrent." In Microsoft terminology it's called "Delivery Optimization." They even explain how it works EXACTLY like a torrent.

grahammechanical
September 3rd, 2020, 01:34 AM
Copyright material can be copied if you have the permission of the copyright holder. Some authors copyright their material under a Creative Commons license.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_license

And then there is copyleft

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/copyleft.en.html

I think we can agree that authors should have legal protection that allows them to keep the ownership of their work while at the same time agreeing to its free distribution and use. It is also important that works with these kind of licenses are not pirated for monetary gain of others.

Regards

mastablasta
September 3rd, 2020, 07:08 AM
also remember demos and shareware? it's often no longer an option. once in 2007 i obtained HL2, but i never played it. last year i bought it over steam in package along with some other games. i often downloaded a game, played it and liked it so much that i bought it.

in the old days i used to subscribe to magazine that came with CD and later DVD with various apps and games demos. i would play and those i liked, i bought. now these demos are a thing of past. and videos are not really clear. steam makes it a bit easier but still sometimes things don't work as you want them to (or are boring) and there is not much you can do. also on steam you are basically just renting the game without actually owning a copy.