PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 20.04 failed install on Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4

dodgy geezer
August 30th, 2020, 02:07 PM
Hi,

I'm a Newbie to Linux - I'm trying to install Ubuntu 20.04 on a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 with 8Gb ram. The install disk I am using has worked on another system, and I can install xUbuntu on this system, but when I try to load a full Ubuntu, the install process stops with the install bar showing 'Running update-grub'. The cursor still moves.

If I try to push a few buttons, I can drop into a command-line window, which has the following last message:

"XDG_Runtime_DIR not owned by us (uid0) but by UID 999 - this could happen if you try to connect to a non-root Pulse Audio as a Root user over native protocol. Don't do that."

Further failures below occur - "Task ZPool 27382 blocked for more than 996 seconds" and "Bad RIP value" lead onto dump messages from Ubuntu kernel. And then all I can do is power down.

Has anyone got an idea what I can do next?

Thanks....

yapidumoac
August 31st, 2020, 07:45 PM
Try [SOLVED] update-grub fails at install (https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4128)

dodgy geezer
September 1st, 2020, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the response - reading it suggests to me that a bios update for this old motherboard might be an answer - I will try this...

dodgy geezer
September 2nd, 2020, 03:50 PM
Updated the Bios - and also noticed that you have moved from 20.04 to 20.04.01. So I re-burned a CD with the new O/S.

Loads perfectly now..... Thanks.