PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removing grub loader password

sddodger5
August 25th, 2020, 03:57 PM
Hello,
I have a dual boot Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10 desktop. Only when booting into the Windows 10 install the grub loader asks for a username and password to continue. How can I remove this so it just boots into Windows 10 when selected?

CelticWarrior
August 25th, 2020, 04:33 PM
Welcome.

Nver seen anything like that. What exactly are those username and password it asks for when selecting Windows 10 from Grub menu?

sddodger5
August 25th, 2020, 04:52 PM
Welcome.

Nver seen anything like that. What exactly are those username and password it asks for when selecting Windows 10 from Grub menu?
Not sure if I select Ubuntu it just goes to the login screen for Ubuntu. If I select Windows 10 it asks for a username and password to continue. If I got to the Windows installation through the BIOS boot options, then I can get into windows fine.

CelticWarrior
August 25th, 2020, 05:04 PM
I asked what those username and password were... Expanding on this idea:

- Is it something you know?
- Is it the same as your Ubuntu login, the same as your Windows login or something else?

Just trying to understand what it is so we can think about where that might have came from because surely it isn't normal.

sddodger5
August 25th, 2020, 05:43 PM
Not sure what the username and password are. I've tried both the ubuntu and windows credentials but neither worked

ActionParsnip
August 25th, 2020, 05:48 PM
Can you give a screenshot please?

CelticWarrior
August 25th, 2020, 05:48 PM
Can you please post a picture showing the dialog?

sddodger5
August 25th, 2020, 05:54 PM

Attached are the boot menu and then the screen I get after selecting the Windows install. Thanks for the help!

tea for one
August 25th, 2020, 08:42 PM
I've never seen this before and it's certainly baffling but I'll offer a suggestion:-

sudo update-grub

Given the unusual problem, I've no idea what could transpire.

However, do not try this unless you have restorable back-ups.

deadflowr
August 25th, 2020, 09:05 PM
That looks like what a grub password would show so as above in a booted Ubuntu run this from a terminal and post back the results

grep password /etc/grub.d/00_header /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober /etc/grub.d/10_linux

tea for one
August 25th, 2020, 09:31 PM
That looks like what a grub password would show so as above in a booted Ubuntu run this from a terminal and post back the results

grep password /etc/grub.d/00_header /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober /etc/grub.d/10_linux

Good grief - I had no idea that Grub2 had a password facility.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Passwords

@sddodger5 - Please ignore my suggestion in post 9.