PDA

View Full Version : New Ugly Facebook

Shibblet
August 24th, 2020, 09:48 PM
So, the "new" improved Facebook interface is upon us. And FB is changing over entirely on September 1st. We will all have to use this new (IMHO, cramped and ugly) interface.
Not only is it ugly, but it is slow and clunky. It takes too long to load pages, the scrolling is jerky, and generally feels like it's stalling. This has issues in Brave, Firefox, even on a friends PC in Edge and Chrome on Windows, it does the same thing.

Are there any programs out there that, like and RSS reader, that will read your FB feeds, instead of having to log on directly to their website?

crip720
August 25th, 2020, 01:07 AM
Just did a fast google search. There seems to be a few ways of doing it, but unknown how well or if they are only for public posts. Only put in 'facebook feed reader' into google.

sdsurfer
August 25th, 2020, 04:00 PM
The new look also looks dumbed down. Got a glimpse of it just before . . . .

After almost 20 years I downloaded and deleted all my FB data and closed the account, forever, over a month ago. Through policies of censorship and propaganda Facebook has taken it upon themselves, along with Instagram (which they own,) Google, Twitter, and all of the MSM outlets to decide FOR US what is truth, what is lies, what we can see and cannot see, how to feel about things instead of letting us decide for ourselves. Their privacy violations are completely off the charts, you are no more than a marketable piece of data to Facebook. I suggest everyone who hasn't already do the same.

mastablasta
August 26th, 2020, 06:36 AM
the mostly advertise the wrong things to me. too many adds, and mostly i am hiding them as irrelevant.

as for the interface i had it for some time. the change is like morrowind vs oblivion interface. one is functional and gives you a good overview of everything. you cna keep it clean by deleting stuff. the other is garbage and you keep scrolling through it to try and to find what you are looking for...yuck.

Perfect Storm
August 26th, 2020, 11:22 AM
I haven't decided if I like it or not. I'm more: "Meh!" regarding the new look. It seems there's a lot of space wasted to make it less clunky. So: "Meh!"

webaake
August 26th, 2020, 02:45 PM
I had a brief glance and it looks like it's made exclusively for mobile units, like tablets and phones. Changed over to the old promptly, but it will only last to monday. I certainely dont't use FB's android app, never will. Bad bad bad.....

artcarney
August 26th, 2020, 08:18 PM
Get the FBPurity extension (Google it). It has a provision to change back to the "old" FB plus you can block or rearrange your feed.

PJs Ronin
August 26th, 2020, 11:51 PM
Get the FBPurity extension (Google it). It has a provision to change back to the "old" FB plus you can block or rearrange your feed.
This is The Way.

mastablasta
August 27th, 2020, 06:08 AM
or move over to MeWe and join a few vibrant linux communities/groups there.

i just wonder how long will they be able to keep up with user increase before they will have to charge or push more ads.

sdsurfer
August 27th, 2020, 03:17 PM
+1 on that one, Minds too. Wasn't too impressed by Diaspora or Ello. MeWe and Minds claim to be more private and free platforms, but they are not without problems. The worst being spam bots on MeWe. Minds has a "reputation" for harboring Nazi/facist/racist groups and supposedly a huge Thai folliwing in which all that is centered, but I haven't seen it yet.

mikewhatever
August 27th, 2020, 06:55 PM
Never thought much of FB, even when it was considered cool a decade ago or so. Never used it either. Kind of feel sorry for "us", but good luck anyway.

PS: As some might misunderstand, I've not suggested you leave FB, just expressed a bit of empathy, that's all.

Shibblet
August 28th, 2020, 06:52 AM
I appreciate all of the suggestions to leave FB. I would, if all of my friends and family used something else... but they all use FB.
I do not like it anymore, because it has become nothing but a torrent of political advertisements and opinions on my daily feed.
I hate politics in general, so it is becoming more difficult every day to continue to use it.

It's tough through, since so many friends and family use it, to convince all of them to move to some other platform or IM program.

I was hoping that with some kind of feed reader, I would be able to "filter" out the political crap, and choose what kind of things I get to see instead. I mean, I'd love to see my cousin Jenny's new house and dog, but don't care about Uncle Albert's political propoganda.

sdsurfer
August 28th, 2020, 03:33 PM
I was hoping that with some kind of feed reader, I would be able to "filter" out the political crap, and choose what kind of things I get to see instead. I mean, I'd love to see my cousin Jenny's new house and dog, but don't care about Uncle Albert's political propoganda.

You're probably aware of some of the content tools. Most are available right from the post. Even if there were a feed, it would probably supply the same content as your account settings.

You can hide Uncle Albert from your timeline without un-friending him. You can then check in now and then and see "yep, still up to the same old thing." :-D
There is a fairly new feature where you can "snooze" a particular user for 30 days.
You can hide specific advertisers in the timeline feed. I have a thing about the NY Times . . . ugh. Hide one ad and that advertiser will never show again.
You can report ads. After the passing of Neil Peart, advertisers came out of the woodwork selling unauthorized T-shirts of Geddy holding up a shirt with images of Neil. These are all the same photos, they just Photoshop the shirts in and exploit big names, among them are Paul McCartney and others. It was disgraceful.
I went through a phase for a while where the first thing I did was hide every ad on the page including the sidebar. Hide one, another appears, remove it, over and over until they stop appearing in this session. After a while they dwindled and I only saw promoted ads from pages I followed. They always come back though, you have to be vigilant for this to work.
Dig around in your settings and preferences. There are some tools in there in respect to ads and views, they are not all encompassing but every little bit helps.

mastablasta
August 29th, 2020, 08:42 AM
still to much ads. every 3rd post is add. :(

i know they need to make money but it's getting a bit ridiculous.

fragglebliss
August 29th, 2020, 10:58 AM
I find it absolutely hilarious that people claim they're going to delete their FB account and delete their data and act like a baby who had candy taken away from them simply because they don't like some UI changes FB developers have made.

There is a simple solution for both desktop and cell phones users. Desktop can be resolved by extensions and adblockers. Cell phones can be resolved by using a third-party app to access FB. I recommend Maki Plus.

Problem solved. Now that wasn't hard was it. ��

T6&sfpER35%
August 29th, 2020, 01:29 PM
FB is the devil's work :twisted: i stay away...

so,sorry ,no input from me.

uninvolved
August 31st, 2020, 03:23 AM
[QUOTE=Shibblet;13981692 We will all have to use this new (IMHO, cramped and ugly) interface.[/QUOTE]

Nope! Not all! ;-)

I've never even had a FB account. I thought about signing up when they first opened to the public, but decided I didn't have any reason to do so. So, I didn't. Life goes on without it.

montrainat
August 31st, 2020, 10:07 AM
From where I see it FB interface was never really good or modern in terms of interface, so why would it be now lol

Shibblet
September 2nd, 2020, 01:19 AM
I find it absolutely hilarious that people claim they're going to delete their FB account and delete their data and act like a baby who had candy taken away from them simply because they don't like some UI changes FB developers have made.

I never threatened to leave because of the UI. The new UI just sucks.
Besides... if people were all happy about new UI's all the time, we wouldn't have MATE.

There is a simple solution for both desktop and cell phones users. Desktop can be resolved by extensions and adblockers. Cell phones can be resolved by using a third-party app to access FB. I recommend Maki Plus.[/QUOTE}
I don't think Maki Plus changes the UI.

[QUOTE=fragglebliss;13982653]Problem solved. Now that wasn't hard was it. ��
It's not as easy as that. If you learn to drive a 4 Door Sedan, and then all of a sudden they throw you behind the wheel of a Mack Truck, you COULD drive it, but there will be a serious learning curve, wouldn't there?

sdsurfer
September 2nd, 2020, 03:51 PM
If you learn to drive a 4 Door Sedan, and then all of a sudden they throw you behind the wheel of a Mack Truck, you COULD drive it, but there will be a serious learning curve, wouldn't there?

Haha . . . which is why I drive manual transmissions only. Automatic anti-theft device. :-D

webaake
September 2nd, 2020, 03:56 PM
FBPurity, as artcarney suggested, works very well! You can set almost any settings you wish concerning colors, fonts and more. As well as hide FB stuff on the page. This is in Google-Chrome and Ubuntu.

Shibblet
September 8th, 2020, 10:35 PM
FBPurity, as artcarney suggested, works very well! You can set almost any settings you wish concerning colors, fonts and more. As well as hide FB stuff on the page. This is in Google-Chrome and Ubuntu.

Apologies that this took so long to get back to.

FBpurity is the bomb-diggity. Not only did it put FB back to normal, but it eliminated a bunch of ads as well. Great extension! Thank you so much!