PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a laptop with a real CapsLock LED

pwabrahams
August 18th, 2020, 09:58 PM
I'm coming here because I haven't been able to get an answer anywhere else, and I'm a Kubuntu user. I'm looking for a laptop with a real, hardware-implemented CapsLock ndicator LED. There are of course many software solutions around, but they don't solve the problem if the software isn't running at the moment. For instance, they don't help at all if you're in a command-line window. The LED could be either on the CapsLock key or on the keyboard itself.

crip720
August 19th, 2020, 12:54 AM
I think you would have to see the laptop keyboard first. Any suggestions you get might change by year or model from what we know. My Dell Precision M4800 has led right on key. Most caps lock software is usually indicator type and is always on, on the task bar. Grub and login screens you would be on your own.

mastablasta
August 19th, 2020, 07:03 AM
sometimes there is option to change the key. business models are more likely to have indicator on key. HPs usually have it. maybe not the thin ones.

CelticWarrior
August 19th, 2020, 01:11 PM
sometimes there is option to change the key. business models are more likely to have indicator on key. HPs usually have it. maybe not the thin ones.

The very thin HP Stream 11 I'm using right now has it.

zebra2
August 21st, 2020, 05:25 PM
All of my Lenovo's have hardware LED on the key. I didn't even know that until you asked.

drpjkurian
August 22nd, 2020, 03:12 AM
My Dell latitude 3500 has a CapsLock LED indicator right on the key. But I'm not sure whether it is a hardware-implemented indicator.

zebra2
August 23rd, 2020, 03:44 AM
If you don't know if it is a hardware toggled led, Bypass your OS and boot to bios. If the light works (and it should) you have a hardware toggled led.

drpjkurian
August 23rd, 2020, 07:08 AM
If you don't know if it is a hardware toggled led, Bypass your OS and boot to bios. If the light works (and it should) you have a hardware toggled led.

I booted into the bios setup screen by pressing the F12 key of my 'Dell latitude 3500' machine. The LED light on the CapsLock key is working. Hence I infer that the CapsLock indicator is hardware toggled one in this machine.
Thank you zebra2!

pwabrahams
August 23rd, 2020, 02:16 PM
My Acer doesn't have a hardware CapsLock LED; had I known that, I wouldn't have bought it. If you're getting a laptop by mail-order, you'll discover that in most cases the online information doesn't say anything about it and you can't tell fro the pictures.

zebra2
August 23rd, 2020, 07:48 PM
@pwabrahams
I would be interested to know if you have a small round dot on the upper right edge of your caps lock key. The dot would be the led. If it exists it is possible that your laptop has the led but that circuit has failed for some reason. If it isn't there than it would seem that it doesnt exist since most laptop leds are on the keys themselves, since there isn't an area around the perimeter of the keys to place the leds like they are on desktop keyboards.
ACER has always had a kind of low end system but I find it to be odd that something that is build into just about every keyboard controller is left out of the system. A single LED essentially has no value.

pwabrahams
August 23rd, 2020, 10:38 PM
For me, the question comes up when I'm buying a new laptop, and all I have to go on is the online information. It's rarely mentioned in the description, not even in the detailed specs. And of course if it's not there it's not mentioned.

mastablasta
August 24th, 2020, 10:29 AM
it will be in service manual (because you need spare part for it or instructions on how to replace it withing warranty), if not in product information. Many stuff is indeed hidden from consumers these days. i believe it's because of product pricing.

zebra2
August 24th, 2020, 04:28 PM
I don't remember ever seeing a specification and description regarding a computer that had a point by point description of the keyboard. Such as "LED" on Num Lock, "LED" on Power Key, "LED on CapsLk. I have a keyboard on one of my laptops that has a relocated right shift key by about a quarter inch lower than normal. It has taken me years to adapt to this change. You are right! It wasn't in the product description. However this has been a very dependable laptop.
There is no perfection in this reality. Nowhere!

zebra2
August 24th, 2020, 04:42 PM
OK, I think I have found a solution. If you find a laptop you are interested in such as ThinkPad X390 , Just do a google search for "ThinkPad X390 keyboard images". If you do a zoom onto the keyboard image you should see the LED dot on the caps key.

Edit: Well this is weird, I just did a search for "ACER laptop keyboard images" without any model number and none of the Acer keyboard images had a led on the capslock key..

pwabrahams
August 25th, 2020, 12:39 AM
Some keyboards have a LED elsewhere on the keyboard. So there are three possibilities: on the CapsLock key, elsewhere on the keyboard, or not there at all.

I sometimes wonder whether keyboard designers omit the LED because they were trying to save a few pennies or they just never thought of providing it.

zebra2
August 25th, 2020, 04:41 AM
All of the LED's on my various laptops are on keys. Caps, Num, PWR. Desktop Keyboard have the LED's on the upper right deck, usually.

mastablasta
August 25th, 2020, 06:52 AM
Some keyboards have a LED elsewhere on the keyboard. So there are three possibilities: on the CapsLock key, elsewhere on the keyboard, or not there at all.

correct. i have Fujitsu Lifebook E Series for work and all the indicators are on top right (just like on desktop keyboard). they are shown in user manual.

Business laptops usually have various indicators. like i wrote - OP should check the service manual for all the parts.

the laptop i got had declared Max ram 8GB not ugradable and that disk has 256 Gb or 512 GB (depends on model and is not upgradable). but then i went to check service manual and it clearly says there that laptop can take in max 16 GB; there are models with HDD or 1 TB nvme, you can even add additional HDD or SSD (with appropriate connecting cable) and you can add a DVD drive. of course none of these are "user upgradable", but can be done at service shop. so you can only wonder why this info is hidden so well.

I sometimes wonder whether keyboard designers omit the LED because they were trying to save a few pennies or they just never thought of providing it.
that and space (to make it thinner, lighter, less complex...).