PDA

View Full Version : live cd

gordon33
August 8th, 2020, 01:04 AM
Hello All

I am running a ubuntu 20.04 on an HP lap top. The plan is to make a live start up disk to use on a HP desk top so I can wipe the desk top clean with the help of some downloads from the web.

I was able to download "ubuntu-18.04-x86.iso" to the lap top it is in the download folder. When I use Activities to find Start Up Disk. Start Up Disk does not find the "ubuntu-18.04-x86.iso" or the usb port that I have the Rioddas external odd&hdd device. Even if I use other from the Start Up Disk app I can not get the "ubuntu-18.04-x86.iso" to show up. I wanted to use the Rioddas to burn a start up disk.

Gordon33

C.S.Cameron
August 8th, 2020, 02:22 AM
Can you put the ISO file someplace easy to access, like the Desktop or in Downloads?

gordon33
August 8th, 2020, 03:36 AM
I did move the iso file from the donwload file to the desk stop wit the same results. the file is not recognized by the start up disk creator.

guiverc
August 8th, 2020, 07:09 AM
Where did you download it?

If you go to https://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/

I don't see an ISO of that name, so I wonder where you downloaded it from? and if you actually got what you think it is? Did you verify the ISO was valid? (ie. verify sha256sum)

C.S.Cameron
August 8th, 2020, 03:56 PM
I see a 32 bit Ubuntu ISO by that name on sourceforge.net
Sharp eye guiverc. It is not an official release.
LibreOffice has been replaced by AbiWord and Gnumeric.
Much better to use an official release if you can run 64 Bit.