PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installed Xubuntu 20.04 then problems with root

Jim_Robinson
July 29th, 2020, 10:23 PM
I had a working Xubuntu 18.04 LTS system until I had a power cut.

So I installed Xubuntu 20.04 using USB key. There were no obvious issues during the installation. I had also thought I had checked out for possible problems using the Live USB Key.

I normally use "scite" as my prime editor and I can use it as editor of choice when logged into the normal user but when I login into root to edit .bashrc and other bash files I have set up on the original system. I receive an error

goto root
using an alias
alias root="sudo su - "

Type scite and get the following error message

Unable to init server : Could not connect: Connection refused
(scite:27613) Gtk-WARNING ***cannot read this section because it is in colour dark blue ***: Cannot open display

Repeated using Thunar
prompt $ thunar
similar error message
Failed to initialize Xfconf : Cannot autolaunch D-Bus with X11 $Display
Unable to init server : Could not connect: Connection refused
(thunar:27638) Gtk-WARNING ***cannot read this part of the error because it is in colour dark blue*** : Cannot open display

Any suggestions polite ones pleasehttps://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon7.png will be received gratefully. I would to like keep using this PC as a nfs-server.

I have been seen several suggestions on the web with similar errors with manjaro linux and xcfe. and they suggest that the problem is related to using wayland.

Best Wishes
Jim

Impavidus
July 30th, 2020, 09:33 AM
It's best not to run any GUI applications as root. It comes with many problems. To edit text files as root, use the sudoedit command. You can use the EDITOR environment variable to let it use any text editor you like.