PDA

View Full Version : Issue upgrading web server from 15.04 to 20.04 : Apache packages

anz000
July 20th, 2020, 05:07 AM
We have a server running 15.04. We deploy a rails application there. I wanted to upgrade the server to 20.04.

We use a rails deploy script to deploy our application. When I attempt this on a 20.04 machine, the deployment fails because of some missing apache packages. When I bypass those packages, the deploy fails, as expected, due to some missing configuration files.

I haven't worked much on configuring apache web servers, but I'd like to know if those missing packages have been migrated to some other packages. Some general information on those packages would also be much appreciated. Thanks.

The packages are "apache2-mpm-prefork" and "apache2-prefork-dev".

CatKiller
July 20th, 2020, 06:39 AM
That module is included in apache2-bin (https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/amd64/apache2-bin/filelist).

Using 15.04 was a mistake. Support for that ended in February 2016. If you'd used 14.04, you'd have had support till April 2019, giving you plenty of time to upgrade to 16.04 or 18.04, which are still supported. If you want long term support then you need to use a Long Term Support release. At least you're moving to an LTS release now.