PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Eclipse for C++

[K]eep[A]way
August 27th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Hi,

I'm a new Ubuntu user, and I want to be able to program C++ in Eclipse. Can someone walk me through the steps? I'm doing something wrong and I figure it would be best to just start from scratch. I know I have to have the GNU C++ compiler (g++) and install GNU Make, and install Eclipse.

Thanks in advance.

neilp85
August 27th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Why not just use something like Anjuta for your C++ IDE. The last time I tried the C++ plugins it brought eclipse to a crawl. That was a while ago so maybe they've gotten better but I wouldn't count on it.

jjtechno
August 27th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I have tried CDT and it runs incredibly slowwww. Use Anjuta for c++ IDE,
or install the CodeBlocks.deb package from Berlios.de(I use this one personally for a c++ class at school.)
The Eclipse project has a long way to go yet with c++.
my 2 cents worth

[K]eep[A]way
August 27th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Thanks guys, but I have to use Eclipse. I have to submit projects for school through a plugin, which submits my project to an automatic grader. I also have to use CxxTest, which creates test cases for C++ classes (this is also an Eclipse plugin). Could you please just walk me through the steps? Or I could continue developing under Windows.

Keffin
August 27th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Installing the "build-essential" package should give you everything you need to compile C/C++ code (which is more than just g++ and make), then it should just be a case of downloading eclipse and the cdt plugin and following the instructions. If you haven't already, I would reccomend installing Suns Java from the repositories ("sun-java5-jdk" I think) and the eclipse/CDT from their official sites.

[K]eep[A]way
August 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks! I'll try that.

sturnira
September 2nd, 2006, 07:54 PM
Hey guys,

I am having a similar problem: I have to use Eclipse and I downloaded Eclipse cdt. Now, how do you add this to the GUI menu in the "Applications" dialog? I already had Eclipse SDK and can't figure out a way to open the C++ Eclipse..

Thanks,

S.

kaamos
September 3rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
Just open the c/c++ perspective in eclipse.

Window->Open perspective->Other->C/C++

KyleCF
March 8th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Hi guys

I'm also having a problem with eclispe. Everything is set up (or so I thought), but every time I try to compile the IDE give me the error: "Error launching external scanner info generator (g++ -E -P -v -dD /home/user_name/documents/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.cdt.make.core/specs.cpp)".

Any advice would be appreciated.

stchman
March 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Hi guys

I'm also having a problem with eclispe. Everything is set up (or so I thought), but every time I try to compile the IDE give me the error: "Error launching external scanner info generator (g++ -E -P -v -dD /home/user_name/documents/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.cdt.make.core/specs.cpp)".

Any advice would be appreciated.

Install the build essential package. Without this, you won't have all the libraries needed.

sudo apt-get install build-essential

How did you install eclipse for Ubuntu? The C/C++ Eclipse is not available in the repositories AFAIK.