PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Nautilus and other application windows controls (Maximize, Minimize, Close)

mickee384
July 6th, 2020, 03:09 AM
Hi all!

I was changing desktop environments (ubuntu to Budgie and back) Budgie has the windows controls on the right. When I changed back to ubuntu the controls were mostly on the right. I tried changing the window titlebars using Gnome Tweak and switched window controls to left, now some are on the right others on the left. If I log into ubuntu wayland all controls are on the left. I'm running ubuntu 20.04. Any ideas? It may be that Gnome specific apps have controls on the right whereas other non gnome apps have them on the left. I looked in deconf and they show that the controls are set to the left hand side.

deconf:
/org/gnome/desktop/wm/preferences/button-layout

close,minimize,maximize:

gdesilva
July 7th, 2020, 06:40 AM
Give this a try....

Open terminal and run

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout “menu:minimize,maximize,close”

The buttons on left should be defined on the left of ':' and buttons on right should be defined on the right side of ':'

mickee384
July 7th, 2020, 02:20 PM
Thanks for answering. I already tried that and it didn't fix this. VLC, Solitaire, Firefox, Thunderbird, Libre Office are on the left, looks like the majority are still on the right

mickee384
August 9th, 2020, 07:45 PM
so I have been quite unsuccessful in getting the windows controls to all move to the left. Still looking for help. Is this in the wrong forum? I think this is a very strange issue. It doesn't seem to matter what theme I use, If it allows me to place controls on the left the only windows that actually change them to the left are Thunderbird and Firefox. Strange indeed! I will gratefully appreciate the help. I tried to re install ubuntu but got a message that due to UEFI it may not boot, so I abandoned that. Does anyone have a possible reason for this?

Frogs Hair
August 9th, 2020, 10:29 PM
Have you tried the Budgie desktop settings ? Budgie is gnome based, but has its own settings application.

mickee384
August 10th, 2020, 07:39 PM
@Frogs Hair. I will look for those!

Frogs Hair
August 10th, 2020, 08:11 PM
Should be under the windows tab.

mickee384
August 13th, 2020, 01:15 PM
do not have those settings

Frogs Hair
August 15th, 2020, 05:16 PM
Search for budgie desktop settings. If you don't have them they can be installed. I have not budgie along side of gnome since 17.04 or 10 , so things may have changed.

mickee384
August 15th, 2020, 07:28 PM
I have budgie desktop settings but cannot access it. I uninstalled and reinstalled the application, but when I click launch, nothing happens. I also tried using Activities, type in budgie desktop but it doesn't show up at all?

Frogs Hair
August 15th, 2020, 07:35 PM
Could be because you are running budgie as a second desktop. If budgie is your primary DE you might just want to install Ubuntu Budgie 20.04.

mickee384
August 15th, 2020, 07:46 PM
It was pre-installed on my ubuntu 20.04 DE, When I booted into Budgie, it changed the boot up screen as well as loading the Budgie DE. I'm looking to stay with ubuntu.(Gnome). You think I should install Budgie and then use the desktop settings to change the windows controls then go back to Ubuntu? Thanks for your help, btw!

Frogs Hair
August 15th, 2020, 11:01 PM
The budgie desktop is only default on Ubuntu Budgie. You would have had to add it to Ubuntu manually some how. If you want to use gnome then you might want to reinstall Ubuntu (https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop) because completely removing a second desktop environment is more time consuming. Your login screen changed because UB uses slick greeter and gnome uses GDM.

mickee384
August 16th, 2020, 06:32 AM
You solved this for me! I logged into Budgie Desktop and did the button switch to left logged out and logged back into ubuntu and now its all fixed. Awesome! Thanks so much, Frogs Hair!