PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances of seeing more ARM support? Hardware and software?

Tomasz_Witko
June 27th, 2020, 05:43 PM
There has been a lot of hip about ARM lately and am wondering if it would be a good idea to support ARM systems for Ubuntu. I am also interested in seeing ARM hardware to be developed based on what I have seen Pine 64 has been doing with ARM project boards arm Pine Book and also Pine Tab. I am wondering if it would be feasible to start a crowd funded Ubuntu project to develop such hardware and supporting software. I am most interested in the PineTab tablet. The strength behind it would be to make hardware available to support Ubuntu Linux OS and software. As for development it will allow for off the shelf hardware and software in a usable package. Also in the future it may be possible to do something similar to Apple in that it may be possible to support hardware and software in a finished package that may be able to compete with other hardware suppliers such as Dell.

As for packages to start off it may be feasible to develop a Ubuntu project board followed with a tablet and lastly a Motherboard for use in mini computer systems. Another future use may be to develop a version of GNU Hurd to run on specific ARM software and possibly server hardware.

Lastly would if be possible to develop small ARM based tower servers running Ubuntu in competition with Red Hat Linux.

EuclideanCoffee
June 27th, 2020, 06:15 PM
Ubuntu already ports to a very popular ARM distributor and its own official image for Ubuntu server (https://ubuntu.com/download/server/arm). You can install a gui ontop of this or wait for more desktop support in the coming years. ARM is a hot topic for sometime, and it will only continue to be so since Apple adopted it for the Mac.

grahammechanical
June 30th, 2020, 02:48 PM
All things are possible but do not hold your breath waiting for all things to happen.

Do not forget that ARM do not make computer chips. They design them to a customer's specification. Apple Corp will not be fitting off the shelf CPUs into their devices but CPU and other chips designed to their specification. Do not expect Apple to release the technical information that will allow another OS to be installed on Apple devices.

Regards