PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista 5536. Does it look like a clown?

PryGuy
August 26th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Hello there! I've just seen the new Vista 5536 screenshots (http://winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_5536_gallery.asp) on Thurrott's site and it made me feel finally confident that Vista looks and will look as a goddamn clown as I don't see there will be any major interface changes. The colours are too vivid and it's hard to concentrate on important elements because of that. Just compare it to the OSX look and you'll understand what I mean. The new icons hardly match with each other. Watching the screenshots I got a feeling that this is still an early beta. I think that Vista looks terrible! Any suggestions?

GameManK
August 26th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I find it funny that their XP partition is 110GB/117GB full. I guess that makes sense since there's no /home partition :-\"

insane_alien
August 26th, 2006, 07:51 PM
vista looks ugly. it also looks like they've only added a bit of eyecandy although we all know the monster that is DRM is lurking behind that facade

gruffy-06
August 26th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I chose "other". Not that Vista looks c***, but it is bland compared to the Compiz in GNU/Linux. Can you use a cube to change desktops on Vista?

Microsoft, if you are reading this and adding the cube ideas to Vista, just remember it is not your innovation, but the open source community's innovation.

We are more intelligent than you think...

PryGuy
August 26th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Let me explain it a bit: I'm a web designer and I pay great attention to the usability and interface aspects. Let's compare the new Vista icon set to the icons used in Ubuntu for instance. The second ones are more unified and look solid in general. And it is easy to tell that the Vista icons were drawn by different people with different tastes and skills.

Look at the "How to Share Feedback" icon on the first screenshot. The light source is on the right side. Now look at the "Recycle Bin" icon that is above. The light source is on the left side... No comments...

augied
August 26th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I think it looks decent, a bit flashy for my taste, but still a huge improvement over xp. There are some inconsistencies between applications that really bug me. They can't seem to decide what goes on the "glass" part of the window and what doesn't. Also the standard toolbar (file, edit, etc.) is dark and 3d looking on some apps, flat and light greyish on others, and missing completely on others.

Klaidas
August 26th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Yet another "Win sux" thread?
I say vista's cool.

PryGuy
August 26th, 2006, 08:32 PM
No, this thread is about the visual appearance of Vista. And I'm absolutely honest about it, believe it or not.

Well, I can explain why Vista looks so vivid, Micro$oft sells stuff and many people will like this eye-candy-sugar-coated-royal-piece-of-crap. But as a designer I repeat, you can't work with this! I was amazed to see how bluntly XP looked when it was released, but this is over the top.

kerry_s
August 26th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Look here to actualy see windows vista in action> http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/2915/

mostwanted
August 26th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I like the look, a while ago my desktop had a Vista window border (transparent and blurred) and the Vista grass wallpaper. It wasn't an intentional choice to mimic it, I just found a wallpaper and a window border that I liked.

The non-Vista window borders in Compiz have improved since then though ;)

oyvindaa
August 26th, 2006, 09:27 PM
The biggest problem about Vista is that it'll cost money. Lots of money.

G Morgan
August 26th, 2006, 09:31 PM
It looks ok but that hardly justifies the increase in inefficiency.

bruce89
August 26th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Yuck, it would be better if they stuck to one colour, not all the ones under the sun.

BOBSONATOR
August 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I think that vista looks good, but it is a total memory hog, i ran the beta 5381 on my desktop.

jISh
August 26th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Looks awful.
Absolutley awful :(
But that's only one theme. There were several choices in his theme selection screen. Maybe the rest will look better ;P

%hMa@?b<C
August 26th, 2006, 10:08 PM
well, Microsoft makes the cake, then takes the cake and eats it too at creating PlaySkool looking themes. Guess there isnt any less to expect

Polygon
August 26th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I think that vista looks good, but it is a total memory hog, i ran the beta 5381 on my desktop.

you cannot really make any comments on memory usage just yet, because it is a beta release, and ive been told that it has a bunch of debugging stuff enabled which eats up a TON of memory.

Im sure that vista will be an improvement over xp, in some form or another, and it will look prettier... i guess. But the true test will come when it finally ships. But i am not looking forward to all the wonderful DRM that will of course be intergrated into everything.

PingunZ
August 26th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I like the vista look, I prefer the touch I gave to it :)
I hate the OS, but I love the look ;)