PDA

View Full Version : can any DE move to next workspace?

Skaperen
June 12th, 2020, 02:25 AM
can any DE, with one key press, or one program run, move to the next workspace (in numeric sequence)? pressing this key N times, where N is the number of existing workspaces, would step through all workspaces, one by one, and end up back at the starting point.

CatKiller
June 12th, 2020, 10:38 AM
All of them?

To be fair, I've only tried Gnome/Compiz, Cinnamon, and KDE. They all worked that way. Whether they loop back to the beginning is configurable.

I use Ctrl-Alt-Left and -Right, since that's what I got used to with Compiz.

ActionParsnip
June 12th, 2020, 04:43 PM
http://xahlee.info/linux/linux_xfce_keyboard_shortcuts.html

Skaperen
June 12th, 2020, 11:49 PM
All of them?

i wasn't wanting to know what all can do, just if any can (and which),

To be fair, I've only tried Gnome/Compiz, Cinnamon, and KDE. They all worked that way. Whether they loop back to the beginning is configurable.

I use Ctrl-Alt-Left and -Right, since that's what I got used to with Compiz.

that also works in Xfce 4.12. now that i know what to look at, i got the action code and can remap this to an easier keypress. i do a lot of moving around workspaces and Ctrl-Alt is too much for me to make use of it. with just Ctrl plus the arrow keys i get letters A,B,C,D so maybe i'll remap those.

what is Ctrl-Alt-Up and -Down suppose to or expected to do? no action happens for them for me (Xubuntu 18.02 upgraded yesterday).

Holger_Gehrke
June 13th, 2020, 12:33 AM
what is Ctrl-Alt-Up and -Down suppose to or expected to do? no action happens for them for me (Xubuntu 18.02 upgraded yesterday).

You can have multiple lines of workspaces in the switcher. Ctrl-Alt-up/down moves up or down a line in the switcher. You can configure the number of lines of workspaces in the properties of the workspace-switcher.

Holger

Skaperen
June 13th, 2020, 03:47 AM
You can have multiple lines of workspaces in the switcher. Ctrl-Alt-up/down moves up or down a line in the switcher. You can configure the number of lines of workspaces in the properties of the workspace-switcher.

Holger

ah, like a 2D grid of workspaces. i do remember seeing something like that in Compiz.