PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I Can't Download Ubuntu

scribner
June 9th, 2020, 08:09 PM
I have tried to download Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop three times, and each time the download failed early on. Two of the downloads were from .edu's (princeton.edu and arizona.edu) and the other one was from a .net. The first two times, the download failed within a few minutes. The third time, the download went on for about 15 minutes before failing. Each time the downloads were, for the most part, frozen or very slow.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can download it normally? I've downloaded and installed Ubuntu several times over the past several years, and I've never had this problem before. Every other time, the downloads were fast and never failed.

QIII
June 9th, 2020, 08:13 PM
Hello!

Have you tried downloading from ubuntu.com?

Look here (https://ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads) for the torrent.

There are also mirrors listed. Unfortunately, neither we nor Canonical can do anything to affect the speed of downloads from those mirrors.

scribner
June 9th, 2020, 08:22 PM
Thanks.

I don't have a BitTorrent client and have never used one before. Is it safe?

I'd rather not use BitTorrent. Is there any way I can download the .iso file normally? Do I just have to keep trying?

QIII
June 9th, 2020, 08:35 PM
If you download "normally", you will be limited to the volume that the mirror can pipe out. That will depend on their capability and the number of downloads going on concurrently. This can't be changed from your end.

There is nothing inherently unsafe about the torrent protocol. You may be associating torrents with pirating software -- which isn't at all safe. But that is not due to the torrent protocol.

If you trust the ultimate source of the file and the P2P network, it's as "safe" as using a mirror. Mirrors can be compromised and mirror maintainers can have deliberate nefarious intent.

scribner
June 9th, 2020, 09:15 PM
Thanks again.

I went to the Ubuntu Mirrors page and chose to download from my Web host, Pair Networks (www.pair.com (http://www.pair.com)), as they are reliable and have been in the Web host business since 1995 (they even run Ubuntu and FreeBSD servers).

So far, the download is going much more smoothly. I've already downloaded 800 MB of 2.5 GB.

scribner
June 9th, 2020, 11:26 PM
The download from Pair Networks completed.