PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Lubuntu 20.04 install freeze

noilleber
June 8th, 2020, 06:39 AM
Hello,<br>Excited to get up and running... Lubuntu 20.04 froze at 93 percent during install onto my machine. I canceled the install after waiting quite a while to see if there was just a slow down...but it stayed at 93. Then I shut down and rebooted...to find it had installed...Now I'm unsure if it's stable or if I should delete the partition I made for it, and reinstall.&nbsp;<br><br>My only guess as to why it happened might be my extremely weak Wi-Fi connection during install...like it was just on loop trying to connect, maybe? My dl speeds were about 200-300kbps. But the network I connected to gets much more than that, at about 30-40mbps-ish, with all my other devices connected just fine. Thinking there is maybe a driver type issue with my internal laptop ant - and old HP laptop from 2011). I do have an ext USB Wi-Fi ant, and though Lubuntu seems to pick it up, or at least be able to make the indicator light flash, I'm unsure about how to cancel out my internal ant, and get Lubuntu to just use the USB W-Fi connection (which is probably better than the old ant inside the laptop anyway).&nbsp;<br><br>Back to the top issue though.. After I canceled the installation inside the live/try-out, everything seemed to cancel out just fine, like it had never happened. But it did. It looks good too,and seems to be running smooth...but I'm frightened about the 7 percent of Lubuntu that may or may not have been installed. As well as having to do it again at 200-300kbps with the possibility of it happening again. Perhaps there's a way to get Lubuntu to see the ext USB Wi-Fi I've got hooked up in live/trial mode to do the reinstall?<br><br>Cheers!<br>Christopher<br><br>&nbsp;<br>

CelticWarrior
June 8th, 2020, 12:06 PM
Welcome.

You don't need an internet connection to install, just don't select to install updates, that can be done later. Do select to install third-party drivers, firmware, codecs, etc. as it helps.

And, unless you know exactly what you're doing, avoid creating your own partitions and let the installer do it for you.

The above avoids two potential issues during installation.

PS - Apparently this forum doesn't do html.

ActionParsnip
June 8th, 2020, 01:02 PM
I personally recommend NOT doing the updates during install. Keep things simple. Get the OS on the disk.

coffeecat
June 8th, 2020, 01:31 PM
PS - Apparently this forum doesn't do html.

If you mean html as a way of formatting posts, then clearly no. In common with >99% of all forums in the known universe I would suspect. Allowing active html code in forum posts would be a honey pot for hackers and crackers.

@noilleber, please edit your post to remove the spurious html code, and simply use the return key in the message editor if you want newlines. Fewer keystrokes, you see. :wink:

Formatting can be done with the tools in the toolbar in the message editor - a larger selection of tools if you use the advanced editor by clicking on the "go advanced" button. It's a good idea to preview your post before posting or at least giving it a quick visual check after posting to make sure it looks good. Walls of text, such as you have posted, tend to discourage people from trying to read the post.