PDA

View Full Version : Multiple + primary keyboard layots

onemorepash
June 6th, 2020, 01:00 AM
Hi there,

I have quite a simple use case of multiple keyboard layouts:

4 layouts (or more) for different languages.
95% of time using only two of them: US + RU in my case. Let's call them primary layouts.
From time to time need to use third or forth language.

I want to use my favourite layout switch combination (like alt-shift) to switch between the two primary ones, and when needed, mouse + some fancy shortcuts when I need one of the two "additional” layouts instead of pressing alt-shift three times to wrap around the whole list each time I want to switch between US and RU.

This exact feature exists in KDE: I can add many layouts and set a limit of 2 for those switched with alt-shift or whatever combination.

Something similar is available in Mac (which is generally a nightmare for everything around keyboard), which switches between two last layouts instead of iterating through the whole list. Android keyboard, Swype for Android and even iPhone have more or less the same behavior.

But I can't find the way to do the same thing with Gnome (yes, I installed tweak).

Yes, I know, the default Gnome approach is two switch combinations: one for the next layout and one for the previous. With sufficient amount of training one might get used to this and be happy. Hell, no, I don't love Gnome that much to go through this circus:

By now this is the only reason I use Kubuntu since many years. Can't say I love KDE more than Gnome, so each time I get a new machine, I try normal Ubuntu to check if this feature is not implemented. Looks like it's still not.

But maybe I am missing something and Gnome does have this option. Or probably somebody can propose a sort of xkb hackery to work Gnome around. I suppose, it might be xkb level feature, just GNOME doesn't have a GUI wrapper for it while KDE does, but I can't figure it out on my own.

P. S. Ten years ago I have already asked this question in a slightly different context: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1489419 At that time KDE had not had this feature but it was introduced shortly after. And I'm sticking with KDE since than.