PDA

View Full Version : [server] Moved my drive to a new PC - what should I be checking?

NotQuiteSU
June 5th, 2020, 09:13 PM
I took my Ubuntu 18 LTS SSD and moved it to a new chassis. Everything booted up no problem, but I'm wondering if there is something I should be checking to make sure I'm using the fell capabilities of the new chip. I know in Windows, I could check device manager and a few other things, but I'm not sure if anything needs to be checked on Ubuntu

Tadaen_Sylvermane
June 5th, 2020, 11:02 PM
Normally one wouldn't search for a problem without a symptom. It will show up somewhere obvious if the problem exists at all.

TheFu
June 6th, 2020, 07:28 PM
For CPUs, not really. There are some settings to disable certain security bug fixes for still supported CPUs. Some of those fixes reduce performance by 10-30% depending on the workload. i don't have a clue how to do that. i figure that if a security fix/mitigation is important enough to be a default, then i want it.

For any specialized HW, just check that drivers are loaded and working with the expected performance. A GPU or GigE performing below normal would be were i started. i'd not get drivers outside the Ubuntu ecosystem unless something is broken.

Some storage needs to be tuned too when the controller changes. That's more important for RAiD setups.