PDA

View Full Version : (UBUNTU 14.04.4 LTS) Ubuntu crashes right after clicking "install ubuntu"

serrune
June 1st, 2020, 11:28 AM
Okay, so. On ubuntu 14.04.4, i'm trying to install it on an ASUS k53e, and it keeps crashing after i boot it up, go to the install ubuntu or try ubuntu (i picked install) menu, and going through the wifi picker (not connecting to wifi) and right after the wifi menu.... nothing. it goes off. instantly.
i already have Windows 10 on here, and i have all of my documents on here, and yes it is backed up. i have 180 gigs ready for it to install to. 8 gigs ram.

coffeecat
June 1st, 2020, 12:46 PM
Ubuntu 14.04 is past end of life and is unsupported. Any effort trying to get an obsolete release installed would be wasted. Try with a supported version. If you want LTS, then either 18.04 or 20.04.

mIk3_08
June 1st, 2020, 01:20 PM
I agree with coffeecat admin... better install the latest release (https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop).

serrune
June 1st, 2020, 01:57 PM
yes, i know, but my dad tried it once, and it got 16 working, but 18 is not working. i was gonna go 14 -> 15 and etc to get to 18/20
also yes, ubuntu 16 was deleted sadly
but, eh, maybe its because old laptop

CatKiller
June 1st, 2020, 03:24 PM
The version numbers are the release date. 14.04 came out in April 2014, and support for it ended a year ago.

For hardware support, newer is generally better: it can take a while for support for a particular piece of hardware to be worked out, but it then usually doesn't stop working except temporarily by accident.

20.04 came out this year and will be supported until 2025.

GhX6GZMB
June 1st, 2020, 07:44 PM
yes, i know, but my dad tried it once, and it got 16 working, but 18 is not working. i was gonna go 14 -> 15 and etc to get to 18/20
also yes, ubuntu 16 was deleted sadly
but, eh, maybe its because old laptop

What you're doing is something I fell into as well (and it's wrong!). It's called "Microsoft Thinking", where every release needs to be updated to the next and so on, and if you have old HW it will not be supported by newer OS versions.

Forget this mindset!

Your machine is amd64, so just install the latest release (20.04 LTS)

Every new (x)Ubuntu release still contains all the support for earlier HW, so there's absolutely no reason to hang onto old versions. And the installer is excellent in detecting HW and selecting the right drivers.

BTW: your laptop is not that old: I'm running Lubuntu 20.04 LTS on a 12 years old HP/Compaq (originally born with Vista :eek: ) with terrific performance and stability.

serrune
June 1st, 2020, 09:36 PM
huh.
did you boot up from a usb or dvd for install?

GhX6GZMB
June 1st, 2020, 10:01 PM
huh.
did you boot up from a usb or dvd for install?

Dunno if you're asking me here...

But if you are:
I've until now always used DVDs for install. It's perhaps not quite as fast as a USB stick, but has a couple of advantages:
1: it's read-only, which means you can always use it for reinstall (USB-sticks tend to be used for other purposes later on).
2: a DVD provides a nice audible feedback that something's happening, although the screen is black.

Apart from that, only the BIOS/UEFI settings can provide an answer. First boot has to be DVD/CD or USB when installing.

mIk3_08
June 2nd, 2020, 01:53 PM
What you're doing is something I fell into as well (and it's wrong!). It's called "Microsoft Thinking", where every release needs to be updated to the next and so on, and if you have old HW it will not be supported by newer OS versions.

Forget this mindset!

Your machine is amd64, so just install the latest release (20.04 LTS)

Every new (x)Ubuntu release still contains all the support for earlier HW, so there's absolutely no reason to hang onto old versions. And the installer is excellent in detecting HW and selecting the right drivers.

BTW: your laptop is not that old: I'm running Lubuntu 20.04 LTS on a 12 years old HP/Compaq (originally born with Vista :eek: ) with terrific performance and stability.

This is true serrune. I also have my Laptop for almost 15 years now comes with Microsoft. The Microsoft O.S. did not last that long, I migrated it to Ubuntu Linux Based O.S. and it runs smoothly, perfect! So I used Linux Based O.S with different distro to revived all of my few OLD Desktop PC since then that wont work with Microsoft anymore. It was Fantastic. All is working well until now.