PDA

View Full Version : 20.04 login with strange screens

joe183
May 26th, 2020, 05:39 PM
I have been running a Vostro 460 with a 60GB SSD and 16GB of memory with Linux Mint 18 for the last 1.5 years. I wanted to try Ubuntu 20.04 and possibly change to it for good. I downloaded the iso, checked the SHA, and burnt a DVD.

The installation did no go well. Upon booting the trial, I could only see a weirdly distorted screen with dark patches and text showing with large fonts on a diagonal. I was not able to click on anything. I ended up turning the computer off. I tried installing and got the same behavior. I decided to make a usb boot stick. Checked the sha and got the same strange behavior. I googled my problem and no one seemed to have anything like it. There were a number of boot problems that were solved by changing boot settings. Unfortunately my machine didn't give me any such options, only boot order was able to be changed.

I reinstalled Linux Mint. Worked fine.

Next, I downloaded 20.04 server and installed. This worked fine. I installed a Gnome desktop on the server and got the same strange behavior.

It seems to me that my computer is allergic to 20.04.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

dino99
May 26th, 2020, 07:13 PM
Is it a 32 or 64 bits ? which graphic card/chip is used ?

joe183
May 28th, 2020, 02:09 PM
Thanks for reading about my problem.

I believe all 20.04 versions are 64 bit.

Your question about which graphics card is used lead me to a work around for the problem. My machine had a Nvida 7300LE, model P280 graphics card. I removed this card and the problems disappeared.

I'm not sure why this card wouldn't work with 20.04 and quite frankly I don't need to know why.

I consigned it to the trash and things are good.

Thanks!