PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to LTS 20 from LTS 18 via terminal and now not able to login

priyavrat17
May 21st, 2020, 03:35 PM
When I am entering password in my login screen I am getting below message:
Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and system can't recover. Please contact a system administrator.

I can see login screen is updated seems like it is upgraded to LTS20 but I cant login. Please help me.

ubfan1
May 21st, 2020, 04:24 PM
Try login at a virtual terminal (at the login/error screen, switch to a vt with ctrl-alt-F3) -- username /password, and see how much free disk space you have with df
See http://parthpatel02.blogspot.com/2015/12/oh-no-something-has-gone-wrong-problem.html
for additional troubleshooting.

priyavrat17
May 21st, 2020, 04:51 PM
Hi, I have around 700gb free. I just tried creating a new user in my system and I am able to login to that user in new ubuntu 20. But for old user I still see same error. All customizations and configurations are there in old user , I want to login into that user.

ubfan1
May 21st, 2020, 11:22 PM
So you have narrowed the problem down to your original login directory. Check the ownership of all the files ls -al to ensure none are owned by root (and chown as necessary). If not file ownership, then it may be something in a "dot" directory (.cache, .local, .config, etc.) Find the problem by mv ing the "dot" files into a temporary storage location, l(make a directory named "oldfiles") . mv a dot file out of storage and try to login. If successful, mv another one until you fail at login. mv the dot file back to storage, and mv out the top level and one subdirectory at a time until you find the one causing you problems, ... Of course, if you find you have all your configs and settings, you may stop the search, and just ignore anything left in the oldfiles storage. Most likely the problem will be in the .cache directory, but could be anywhere. It may be less work to simply redo your configs like in a new installation.

priyavrat17
May 22nd, 2020, 11:07 AM
I tried for so many folders and directories.. even compared with the new users directory. I have reset whole gnome in old user via command but still the problem persists. It seems the only way which is left to me is to backup all the files via new user and delete this old user. But its really bad seeing this. Hope something works.. still exploring and trying to find out.

priyavrat17
May 24th, 2020, 05:24 AM
Hey, It finally worked. Earlier I was checking if any file/directory is having root owner, found some and changed ownership still I was getting same error. Now what I did , I moved each of the hidden directory such as .local,.config,.cache etc and finally it worked. Thanks a ton man you saved my lovely laptop.