PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu crashes after password input in login

kashikk
May 21st, 2020, 11:08 AM
Hello and good day.

I've seen some similar problems in here but after trying all the mentioned solutions I am still not able to solve this.

I am running the latest version of ubuntu 20.04 and everything was working fine. I ran into some memory allocation problems (didn't have much) and erased the /home partition since it is possible to run everything from root. When I enter the password in my session ubuntu freezes. My machine is using a CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 hexa-core-3-6ghz-c-turbo-4-2ghz and a GPU Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8G.

Some threads with the same problem indicate it might be a driver problem, I followed all the mentioned answers and still doesn't work.
Following this (https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/368748/ubuntu-16-04-gui-freezes-on-login-start-page), also still doesnt work (starting linux in recovery and acessing root terminal)

apt-get update
apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-all
apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
apt-get install ubuntu-minimal
apt-get install xorg xserver-xorg
apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-evdev //couldnt here
apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-vmware

reboot

neither works sudo ubuntu-drivers devices

It is important to mention that when I add the password and it freezes I can move the mouse. And when I go to restart it appears that one user is logged in. So I guess gettin in worked

Any help?

ActionParsnip
May 21st, 2020, 02:13 PM
If you make a new user in root recovery mode and log in as that user is it OK there?

kashikk
May 21st, 2020, 02:30 PM
I just did that from booting in recovery:

useradd username -m -s /bin/bash
passwd username
adduser username sudo

And is exactly the same