PDA

View Full Version : looking for "xv" or something like it

Skaperen
May 17th, 2020, 08:44 PM
i remember an old X application called "xv" that has lacked maintenance for ages and has since disappeared, probably due to being incompatible with today's graphic library APIs. does anyone remember using this? i'm looking for something that can do like things in the simple way it allowed.

it would alter the coloration of individual pixels in various useful ways, all pixels at once. it could change brightness, contrast, gamma of an image in all colors at once or in any individual primary color. it could shift the hue 360 degrees around a circle to anywhere you want. it could map any brightness level to any other using an N-point curve you could draw. it could do all these things with elegant tools all in a single window. so there were minimal windows (one for the image, one for the controls).

Hwæt
May 18th, 2020, 05:53 AM
Looks like it's still available for download (http://www.trilon.com/xv/downloads.html)

sudodus
May 18th, 2020, 07:42 AM
Yes, I remember xv. I used it in Sun workstations long ago. Many but not all features are available via gimp.

Skaperen
May 19th, 2020, 03:16 AM
i figured gimp would have perhaps most. but its UI is difficult to use in part because it has so many features that it has to organize them the way it does. what was nice about xv is that its UI was like a box with a bunch of knobs. turn one and move over to another one and turn it then go back.