PDA

View Full Version : Root without space in Ubuntu 20.04 even with 30 GBytes

ramonbadoch
May 14th, 2020, 10:54 PM
Hi. First at all, sorry by my English...

I'm an Ubuntu user since 2008, always in dual-boot with Windows. For the last years, I used Linux Mint but now, with a new notebook and the brand new Ubuntu 20.04, I've decided to go back to Ubuntu Gnome.

My notebook has one 128 GB SSD and 1 TB HD. The SSD comes partitioned by factory leaving just 100 GB for Windows. I've reduced this partition to 75 GB (Windows occupied around 60 GB) and I've occupied these 25 GB to install the Ubuntu's root (I've installed the /home at 1 TB HD).

After installed and configured, the root occupied 15 GB, leaving 10 GB free. It was a surprise to me when, the next day, there was a message informing that root had no free space (there were only 1.5 GB free). I ran Bleachbit and it freed 5 GB but after some hours this message appeared again.

So, I went to Windows and I took another 5 GB and I reinstalled Ubuntu, then with 30 GB for root. 2 days after, this morning the message was shown again. And the Bleachbit freed only 1.8 GB.

Running Disk Analyzer, the result was: 26.5 GB root total. The 2 biggest areas were var (16 GB) and usr (8 GB).

Inside var, 12.7 were occupied by log. When I opened log, I saw that journal occupied 1.3 GB and the rest occupied little space. So, I don't know where were these 12.7 (there were some items without information of disk space: gdm3, private, speech-dispatcher).

The usr 8.0 GB total, 5.5 were at lib and 1.8 at share.

Someone can help me with any suggestion how to proceed?

Thanks in advance.

TheFu
May 15th, 2020, 01:55 AM
$ snap list

You can control the size of the journal logs in the journald.conf file.

A quick way to find large files is with find.

sudo find / -type f -size +3G
Clean up those huge files, then run it with smaller

sudo find / -type f -size +999M

Just modify the size smaller and smaller to find the large files.
Change the "/" to "/var" since that is likely where the storage is being wasted. I'd guess in snaps and/or containers and/or virtual machines. Those are all stored under /var/ by default.

Impavidus
May 15th, 2020, 09:21 AM
8GB in /usr is normal. Something is overflowing your log files by printing the same (or at least similar) message all the time. Find the offending log file and find the repeating line.

If you have to clear up space, old log files can be safely deleted.

ActionParsnip
May 15th, 2020, 03:18 PM
What is the output of:

df -h; echo; df -i

Thanks

ramonbadoch
May 15th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Thank you all for your answers. Following your directions, I noticed that the syslog.1 file was 11.8 GBytes. When I opened it, I noticed that the messages

vboxdrv.sh[5734]: Enter a password for Secure Boot. It will be asked again after a reboot.
vboxdrv.sh[5734]: Enter the same password again to verify you have typed it correctly.
vboxdrv.sh[5734]: Invalid password
vboxdrv.sh[5734]: The Secure Boot key you've entered is not valid. The password used must be
vboxdrv.sh[5734]: between 8 and 16 characters.

were repeated millions and millions of times. So, as TheFu had guessed, it is VirtualBox that is generating an excess of messages. I deleted the syslog.1 file and uninstalled VirtualBox, which I use very little. Now, I will follow up to see if the problem is resolved.

Thank you very much!

TheFu
May 15th, 2020, 06:28 PM
To be fair, my guess for /var/ being full was more for libvirt. VirtualBox usually places VM files under the user's HOME. Log files that grow and grow should be managed by the log limiter. See /etc/logrotate.d/ for some examples. Size limits can be set for logs. Also, they can be compressed. As text, they compress really, really, well.

Inside VMs, I usually don't use:
* UEFI
* secureboot
If your VM installs don't use those, perhaps the billions of log entries wouldn't happen? I think there's a setting to prevent log entries from being displayed more than once every X minutes too.

I've never used virtualbox on Linux hosts. Been using KVM or Xen since 2007-ish on Linux hosts.

ramonbadoch
May 16th, 2020, 04:21 AM
To be fair, my guess for /var/ being full was more for libvirt. VirtualBox usually places VM files under the user's HOME. Log files that grow and grow should be managed by the log limiter. See /etc/logrotate.d/ for some examples. Size limits can be set for logs. Also, they can be compressed. As text, they compress really, really, well.

Inside VMs, I usually don't use:
* UEFI
* secureboot
If your VM installs don't use those, perhaps the billions of log entries wouldn't happen? I think there's a setting to prevent log entries from being displayed more than once every X minutes too.

I've never used virtualbox on Linux hosts. Been using KVM or Xen since 2007-ish on Linux hosts.

OK, TheFu. I'll follow your advice. Thank you, very much.