PDA

View Full Version : New to Linux. Installed Ubuntu mate to replace Gnome shell.

cheesypoof86
April 27th, 2020, 05:20 PM
Hello, I am new to Linux. I just downloaded Ubuntu Mate to replace Gnome Shell because my computer was lagging terribly. After using the terminal to install Mate and choosing Mate as my desktop I rebooted my computer. Now when it comes on it starts up beeps once goes to a sort of loading screen and then blacks out a few seconds after that. I have everything up to date. Ubuntu 19.10 and Gnome Shell was 3.2 or something. Being new I dont know what to do to fix this. I've read forums and tried what i've read and nothi g is helping so far. (Holding shift key, pressing esc, unplugging usb's from ports) please help!

Dennis N
April 27th, 2020, 05:31 PM
Does " I just downloaded Ubuntu Mate to replace Gnome Shell" mean you downloaded the Ubuntu MATE 20.04 ISO file and did a new install? This isn't clear, since you say you used the terminal to install MATE. Or did you use the terminal to install MATE Desktop to an existing Ubuntu 19.10?

cheesypoof86
April 27th, 2020, 06:59 PM
Yes sorry. What described is what I did. I did manage to hit the esc button while it was booting up. It said somw thing about the back light brightness failing. I'll do it again to get exact info. Sorry for the inexperience. I just got this thing last night.

cheesypoof86
April 27th, 2020, 07:08 PM
Failed to start Load/save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:scpi_video0.

See 'systemctl status systems-blacklight@backlight:acpi_video0.service's for details.