PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Machine won't boot following clean install of 20.04

asb3
April 26th, 2020, 07:36 AM
I performed a clean install of ubuntu 20.04. The install was successful, and I immediately tried to reboot.
The machine won't boot. After displaying 2 flash screens, it hangs with a black screen except for a cursor in the upper left corner. The cursor is not sensitive to mouse or keyboard.

If I go into BIOS and select as boot device the drive with the new installation, I immediately get the black screen with the cursor.

Before the install, I cloned the drive containing the boot partition to a usb stick. I can boot from the USB stick, and everything is as it was before. If I examine the drive with the new /boot partition, everything is looks OK.

What should I do?

dino99
April 26th, 2020, 08:14 AM
Might be relative to the gpu driver: which one should be used ? If its a nvidia for example, you need the kernel headers & build-essential installed first.
If you can read 'journalctl -b' then you might find some issues about the video

asb3
April 26th, 2020, 01:15 PM
The computer does boot using the ubuntu 20.04 liveCD.

CelticWarrior
April 26th, 2020, 01:19 PM
Disable Secure Boot in UEFI then try to boot normally.

dragonfly41
April 26th, 2020, 01:19 PM
Boot flags set in target?

asb3
April 26th, 2020, 06:09 PM
Original installation had lvm turned off. I reinstalled with lvm turned on, and it worked.

TheFu
April 26th, 2020, 07:07 PM
Please read the Release Notes for 20.04. Many common problems with workarounds are there:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseNotes

New releases always seem to have some rough spots that take a few months to nail down.