PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding burning programs

WaterWalker
August 26th, 2006, 07:05 AM
How come there are no good free GTK-burning programs?
I've tried Gnomebaker, Graveman, Brasero,...
and none of them worked acceptable.
They either crashed before they started burning(brasero), didn't recognise RW's(both Graveman, GnomeBaker)or stopped halfway the burn(and thus destroying my CD-R's/Gnomebaker, Graveman).

Seems that I'm forced to choose between K3b(which means installing a lot stuff I don't want to install like kde-libs) or using a non-free burner like NeroLinux(I choose Nero, it works perfect for me).

The_Artist
August 26th, 2006, 07:12 AM
I think everyone agree to say K3B, a KDE based application, is the bet burning tool on Linux.

If you burns a lot of CDs, i advise you to use this tool, even if you use Gnome. It works well so, you just have ton install KDE librairies.

It's not a clean solution, I knwow :-D

I would like to have a high-end burning tool on Gnone... but know i still use the CD Creator tool of Gnome.

jason.b.c
August 26th, 2006, 07:14 AM
How come there are no good free GTK-burning programs?
I've tried Gnomebaker, Graveman, Brasero,...
and none of them worked acceptable.
They either crashed before they started burning(brasero), didn't recognise RW's(both Graveman, GnomeBaker)or stopped halfway the burn(and thus destroying my CD-R's/Gnomebaker, Graveman).

I've never had that kind of trouble with gnome baker..;) :confused:

and thus destroying my CD-R's/

So stop using CD-R's....:neutral:

Burn the stuff onto a CD-RW first...

aysiu
August 26th, 2006, 07:16 AM
I use a mix of GTK and QT apps. It's a fact of life, and if you have 512 MB of RAM or more, it shouldn't really be an issue (well, except that the non-native app could look ugly) performance-wise.

I prefer Kate to Gedit, KRename to nothing, K3B to Gnomebaker, and Konqueror to Nautilus.

But I also prefer Firefox to Konqueror, Thunderbird to KMail, Grip to KAudioCreator, and GAIM to Kopete.

I find both Kolourpaint and GIMP useful. I also like Rhythmbox and AmaroK equally.

It's a big mix-and-match, and that's life with Linux.

croak77
August 26th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Aren't all those you mentioned, ( K3B, Gnomebaker, Graveman ) just frontends to cdrecord and/or dvd+rw-tools? I don't see why one would work but not the other. I tend just to use the command line tools.