PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] 20.04 LTS fails to boot installation media

dami-2024
April 25th, 2020, 12:02 PM
I used rufus, and tried the live image on my desktop PC, and it worked fine. Then I tried to boot from the laptop I intend to install it in (Thinkpad T430), and it doesn't boot. It keeps showing the Kubuntu logo, and this is what it says after pressing any key (see image). The system is using OpenSUSE without any trouble. I already downloaded the image again and tried burning the usb with different methods (DD, etcher, etc.), I also burned a DVD. Same outcome. Maybe it has to do with the laptop SETUP? In the past, every time I tried to install an ubuntu based distribution on this particular PC, it failed.

CelticWarrior
April 25th, 2020, 04:11 PM
Welcome.

If it has Nvidia Graphics then likely you need to boot the live session with 'nomodeset'.

oldfred
April 25th, 2020, 06:12 PM
Have you updated UEFI?
UEFI update required for USB-C port issues 2017 thru 2019 models
ThinkPad models including the ThinkPad X1 Carbon (5th Gen to 7th Gen), X1 Yoga (2nd Gen to 4th Gen), and P-series
https://www.cnet.com/news/is-your-thinkpads-usb-c-port-not-working-upgrade-its-firmware/

And are drives set to AHCI, not RAID nor Intel RST?
If dual booting with Windows you must first install AHCI drivers into Windows.

dami-2024
April 25th, 2020, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the reply! my laptop is an older model from 2012, it doesn't have USB-C ports, but I think Intel RST is enabled (or so I remember from having checked the BIOS Setup before). I have dual boot and It works well (Windows 8.1 - OpenSUSE Leap 42.2) but I'll check the AHCI drivers, as I don't remember having installed them. I'll come back later!

dami-2024
April 26th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the reply! my laptop is an older model from 2012, it doesn't have USB-C ports, but I think Intel RST is enabled (or so I remember from having checked the BIOS Setup before). I have dual boot and It works well (Windows 8.1 - OpenSUSE Leap 42.2) but I'll check the AHCI drivers, as I don't remember having installed them. I'll come back later!

It didn't work. I will try with another blank HDD.