PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to install Software Center (not Boutique) in Ubuntu MATE 18.04?

rocket57
April 21st, 2020, 03:33 AM
Hello Folks - first time poster here.
I have been using Ubuntu MATE for a week now, and I find the Software Boutique doesn't have much of anything I want.
On another site I heard that the Ubuntu Software Center has more choices, but trying to find out how to install it is a confusing thing.
I like to play chess with a computer, I like astronomy, and I like listening to pipe organs live, Russian pop and vocaloids like Hatsune Miku. I love cats and have 7 all rescues/strays.
I can use the Terminal without fear - it reminds me of the good old days before Windows let all the monkeys in. I am not an IT guy or programmer though, just a chemist.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Rocky

Dennis N
April 21st, 2020, 07:56 AM
You can use the terminal to install it:

sudo apt install ubuntu-software

guiverc
April 21st, 2020, 08:02 AM
FYI: The software-boutique doesn't try and have everything, it's supposed to provide the best of class for most people (that is my words, probably taken from a Ubuntu Podcast years ago when I heard wimpy (Martin Wimpress, Ubuntu-MATE dev) talk about it. I think Software-Boutique is great myself.

`synaptic` and other tools work too (more detail (includes libraries & detail that can overload or scare user) and without the pictures. Myself I like `aptitude` (a terminal based program), but you have many choices and I suspect `synaptic` is the most popular.

ajgreeny
April 21st, 2020, 11:15 AM
Synaptic used to be, still is, I think, the default package manager in debian, and was therefore the default in early versions of Ubuntu.
It is still my preferred GUI package manager, though now I tend to use apt install in terminal providing I know exactly what I want to install.