PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Installation stuck at wallpaper

SS113
April 19th, 2020, 08:30 AM
I am having an interesting problem.

I had installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my desktop (since summer of 2018) and I've been using it without any problems until last week. It wouldn't boot suddenly and I tried everything to get it back but was unsuccessful. Long story short I'm trying to do a fresh install now again but I can't even start the installation. I gets to a certain point where I see the wallpaper but that's it. It stays there. I've tried 18.4, 19.04, and 19.10 with the same issue. The same installation media (USB stick) starts fine on my laptop so I know that's not the problem. For fun I even tried a DVD installation and it does the same.

My setup is as follows:

2x256GB SSDs in RAID0 split up into 2x238GB, one for Windows and one for Ubuntu. I even deleted all the old Ubuntu partitions so now the whole 238GB set aside for Ubutu is unallocated. Still doesn't matter, the installation does the same thing. Nothing in the computer has changed (hardware wise) nothing was added/removed recently.

I'm not sure what else I can try at this point and any help would be appreciated! Thank you

mörgæs
April 19th, 2020, 12:06 PM
Are you able to run a live boot?

SS113
April 19th, 2020, 08:09 PM
No it does the same thing, just a wallpaper and nothing happening after that. I thought it was a slow USB/DVD read speed and it takes a while to load but no, I waited sometime up to 30 min and nothing.

mörgæs
April 20th, 2020, 08:12 PM
Then let's try installing the network / minimal ISO (https://ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads).

There is some advice in the link in my signature.