PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No .exe setup

som1isbackkk
April 14th, 2020, 02:56 PM
Okay so I wanter to dual boot ubuntu 19.10 with Windows 10 but there was no exe file inside the iso. I need a exe file to install.

CatKiller
April 14th, 2020, 02:59 PM
I need a exe file to install.

You really really don't.

The iso file is a container of a bootable filesystem. Burn it to a DVD or write it to a USB drive and boot from it.

crip720
April 14th, 2020, 04:36 PM
Should read up on installing another OS before doing anything else. It is easy to do, but also very easy to destroy all your data and/or Win 10 if you make simple mistakes. Once you have burned the ISO to USB you can use the 'TRY UBUNTU' option to see if you like it without installing. Google is your friend, search for using ubuntu, dual booting and installing.

TheFu
April 14th, 2020, 06:12 PM
There are thousands of youtube videos explaining how to install Linux onto other systems. Linux doesn't use .exe files.

Step 1: get the iso file
Step 2: Place the iso file onto media to be installed from. That can be an optical disc or flash storage or SDCard or ... any other media from which your computer has the ability to boot. This must be a bit-for-bit placement, not a simple copy. The common term used is "burning it".

Step 2 has different methods, depending on the OS you have available already.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2422843&p=13872720#post13872720 explains and has a link for Windows instructions.

yancek
April 14th, 2020, 08:47 PM
The link below is the Ubuntu documentation explaining dual booting Ubuntu with windows 10 and this site has been up and available for years. Read it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

DuckHook
April 14th, 2020, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the forums, som1isbackkk.

Since you have already been deluged with good technical advice, I don't need to give you any more with respect to what physical steps to take.

But your assumption that .exe files exist in Linux is very revealing of your total lack of knowledge about Linux. In your case, it is a good idea to read the link in my sig: "Linux is Not Windows".

You should read this even before you try to install.

TheFu
April 14th, 2020, 09:07 PM
Something just hit my brain. Perhaps the OP, som1isbackkk, isn't really trying to run Ubuntu natively, but really wants that Linux sub-system from Microsoft? Think they call it WSL. I've never used or even seen it. Does it have an .exe?

DuckHook
April 14th, 2020, 10:05 PM
…Perhaps the OP, som1isbackkk, isn't really trying to run Ubuntu natively, but really wants that Linux sub-system from Microsoft? Think they call it WSL.
A reasonable possibility. Will have to hear back from OP.

Does it have an .exe?
Dunno. Haven't kept up with Windows for better part of a decade.

@OP: Irrespective of above, it's still a good idea to read: Linux is Not Windows.

Impavidus
April 15th, 2020, 09:41 AM
Then there's that tool from a decade ago to install Ubuntu on a virtual partition in a file on a Windows partition: wubi. It was so confusing for newbies that I'm glad it's gone (incompatible with UEFI), but I'm sure there're still guides for it on the web.